Handbrake Cable Does It Need Shortening ?

Guest mr D

2B hand brake just passed last mot as adjuster nylon locking gubbins has failed ( as he had already passed the car and was moving it Phew! ) I have a new cable to fit but not sure if it needs to be shortened, if so by approx how much do i need to shorten it by, my handbrake is in the passenger floorwell ........ have searched the forums but still unsure

Thanks for any help

Derek :unsure:

If it is like the one I did on my exmo.

Only the inner needs shortening as the outer length is set by the subframe which is as used in the sierra.

I fitted the cable with the nylon adjuster in a position where I had lots of adjustment both ways.

Fitted the cable to one side brake and the handbrake.

Pulled the inner through the other side brake and then cut with about 1 inch for me to swage on a nipple.

Fitted the cable and used the nylon adjuster as intended to give about 4 clicks on the handbrake to operate.

Edited by IanS
  • Like 1

Guest chris brown

Swapping the adjuster is probably the easiest way. I had difficulty in swaging the nipple on so as to be strong enough so I cut the inner in half and passed the cut ends through the D on from each side then clamped them together using 2 small clamps (from B&Q) on each side.

Edited by chris brown

Hand-brake nipple securing on Florin -- Drill a clearance hole in the steel section to be used ( 8mm bolt shank ) & countersink one end pass inner cable through from other side & splay out all strands -- MIG weld countersunk hole until full -- all spare of strands will fall away as this is done = one neat nipple end & has served for the past 4 years.

On the nylon adjuster -- is it possible to replace over an existing nipple?

• Like 1

waiting for the sub zero temperatures to raise a little before venturing into the garage, so it will be about May here in Scotland !........... I am afraid of coming down with hypothermia

Thanks all for replies

Derek

Edited by mr D

Failed adjuster can be quite common. My MOT tester advised a small jubilee clip on outer cable behind the nylon adjuster. This gives it support against the stresses.

It had one on but mot tester managed to yank up handbrake and it slid!

Thanks though

Derek