Guest Radders

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Radders

Hi Dan...yes I've had it up on a 4 post and it looks like you would have to dismantle the entire car to remove the gearbox from underneath... So it will be engine out...what a ballache...I've not long done the same thing on my Dutton Phaeton! Trouble is she's jumping out of 4th gear on throttle lift off...Ford type 9.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Radders. Before you go removing the box just check right through the gear change.

There is a rubber/plastic saddle on the gear change that can give this type of problem by not going fully into gear if it is worn.

Another fault is week detention springs. Not sure if you can get directly to these with box still fitted but I'm sure someone will be on about it soon.

I am not saying this is your fault, but I would cirtainly go through things like this before removing engine and box, then ending up kicking yourself.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Start by removing the gear lever at the bottom joint then work towards the gearbox top. See how much you can remove.

The saddle looks just like what it is called.

Nothing down to the top of the box is to difficult to do, I just don't know how far you can get without removing box because of the tunnel.

Edited by 2b cruising

Check the hole in the tunnel top is not "just & just" stopping the full movement of the lever, could be tunnel is close enough to lever for over-run movement to knock it out of gear. We had this happen,but with reverse.

Guest 2b cruising

Radders, just had first look at the engine photo.

Only slight comment. You numbers on your leads don't quite make sense.

The firing order on the ford is 153624.

If you are running on all cylinders, numbers 1 and 2 need re marking.

Guest Radders

It's exactly how I bought it. So far I haven't had chance to really look it over and check everything out. She's running beautifully engine wise 0 to 60 in 4 seconds so I assume she's firing correctly :-)