Double Taxation

alanrichey

I feel a bit of a fool, but maybe I can save other people from falling into the same trap.

My Road Tax was due at the end of this month so tried to pay using the V11 reminder. Unfortunately it came back with the message "Vehicle not found". So I tried the alternative method of using the V5 but got the same error message. I eventually managed to tax it at the Post Office, although she had to resort to scanning the V5 to get the computer to accept it.

So I e-mailed DVLA to find out what was going on. Turned out I had already taxed the car 2 weeks ago and forgotten (senior moment :) ) And as the V11 code is designed for a single-use that was why I was getting that error message.

I have pointed out to them that a more appropriate error message is required. I will see what they say.

The are refunding me the second payment, although I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't questioned them about it ? Anyway, if you get that error message when you try and tax your car, just make sure you haven't done it already.

And that wouldn't have happened if we still used tax discs.....

Al

I always write on the reminder the date of payment, then when the Missus asks if I've taxed the car I can sort of prove it!!

HTH

Nick

I have it on my iPhone as a reminder. Works well, but does make the assumption you clear it when you actually tax it .......... :bad: