Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest lotusPaul

I agree. Use a classic oil. And that oil from halfords is exactly what I have in my lotus engines. Get two cans of it and two filters. Drain yours cold, don't even run it till warm.GET IT OUT.Then fill up with new filter to act as purge. Run it up and I'm pretty sure that knocking will die off a bit if not disappear. If it works then run it around the block to get it throughout the oil gallery's. Then again drain and refill with another new filter.

If you have one drop a magnet into the waste oil and see what it picks up.

If its not been knocking long then you may not even need a strip down depending on any mettle filings found.

Cost, about £60. Much cheaper than a rebuild.

Hope it works

Guest jimmytwobikes

I guess its worth a gamble on the oil, going to the show tomorrow, (in my Vectra, don't all boo at once!) so will probably have a go on Monday, chance my luck!!

Guest jimmytwobikes

I would love to able to take paul up on his offer, but I have no way of removing the engine, I don't have a hoist. I guess I could hire one.

Guest lotusPaul

Strangely enough I have one at home in Pompey. When I'm back I'll pop over and have a look. If it needs piling out then so be it.

Do the oil change asap and let us know the difference if there is one.

Guest 2b cruising

If you can strain the oil as it comes out and there are bits of metal shavings or dust in it, don't bother to refill.

Save the oil for Paul to have a look at.

Guest lotusPaul

I remember years ago using my mum's kitchen ware to build engines, she would come home to find carbs stinking of fuel stripped out on the kitchen table,jugs full of oil being used to measure combustion chambers. Colinders being used as parts washers, the list goes on. It was funny looking back on it because I just blamed my father,well he got me into this..!!

She kinda forgot when being driven around the German Autobahns in a Southern Roadcraft at not too sensible speeds.

My point, be careful what you use..wife's need to be kept on side.

Enjoy Stoners guys.

Guest mower man

I will try to be relaxed on this , that engine has problems effing about changing oil is not going to cure that horrible noise ,head off,sump off pull the rods and pistons as a minimum and report back on findings ok ? mick

Guest lotusPaul

I will have a look as soon as I can. I agree its probably got a few issues going on that need to be assessed, but putting in the correct oil will only help, or maybe my 24years as a qualified mechanic and engineer are completely wasted.

Guest mower man

As already said an oil change is not going to quieten that , I've done over 50 years and I'm still learning , no disrespect meant!mick

Guest lotusPaul

None taken..if it was mine I'd rip to peices and rebuild as a mater of course to a blueprint spec. But I know having done it many times its costly and will be over 1k.

All I'm saying is by putting in the correct grade oil and flushing it through and doing it again then it may be saved a little. But as I said in a post..please don't start that again..it's a little unrealistic im aware. Not everyone has the ability to diagnose a engine fault and then have the confidence to fix it. That's where the club comes in, and off all the forums I'm part off this is the most active AND helpful. A credit to all that contribute.

When I'm in UK I'll have a look.I'm only down the road.