Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest lotusPaul

And looking at it, it looks like you have a small amount of "cam walk". This is visible by looking at the lobes and the mirror shine being bordered by dark edges. There is a thicker dark edge on one side, left, or the rear, easiest seen on last pic. Not a massive issue as Long as all the follower sees the lobe.

Other than that it looks completely normal.

Can you get a magnet to check for fillings or do it by drying the head with a clean rag and checking.

If its clear then you may only need a bottom end rebuild.

Guest jimmytwobikes

Best let you have a look at that, I have just about exhausted my tech knowledge now, where will I find the Bp number?

Guest jimmytwobikes

Just been and had a look, at the back of the cam by the bulkhead is a number KCRL31, does this mean anything, I cannot see any other numbers except for a 7 stamped on the shaft between 1 and 2 cylinders.

Guest lotusPaul

End face of the cam. The rocking that you feel at the moment, now much.

Reason I ask is its to be expected to a point. It allows a bit of movement fore and aft of the cam, secondaly you have no oil pressure so the cam is not "floating" on a film of oil,so that will be another reason.

Guest jimmytwobikes

I cannot rally assess how much movement there is in the cam, as I am a bit of a weakling, the fact that I can rock it doesn't bode well.

Guest jimmytwobikes

I have gone as far as I can with my limited knowledge and facilities, I will have to wait until you get a bit of time to come and have a look.

Guest lotusPaul

Better??? That's a million dollar type question. Engines need to be balanced, i.e. all parts built to compliment each other. If you had a standard head and standard bottom end I'd say its way to much. You have a 2.1 so it mildens the effects of loss.but if your head is standard then updating the cam is non effective and will actually make you loose out.

Personally I'd need to look at your head to see if its been ported.if it hasn't the cam is a waste and you would be better with an injection cam or a mild performance cam. 266 to 276 duration.

If it has been then you have the potential for a potent beast.

Guest jimmytwobikes

Can't wait for you to come and have a look, and tell me what it is. When I get some more time I will have a go at removing the starter motor and the exhaust manifold, maybe even get round to some of the bell housing bolts.

Guest Ian & Carole

Looking at those pics my money is on the front cam bearing.

The bearing is fubared. :crazy: :crazy:

The noise on the video sounded top end and if you can move the cam side to side then there is you knock.

Guest lotusPaul

It does look like you can get more than a feeler gadge in that gap.

I'll pop over next week and have a look.

Still want to check the whole thing over.