Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest lotusPaul

Jim,

I hope you get it sorted. Did you get a 1.6 or 2.0 ?

I'm away for a while but give me a bell when I'm back if you need a hand

Guest jimmytwobikes

Thanks for that Paul, I managed to get a 2.0 out of a Capri, with standard twin choke on it, so hopefully it will set up easily.

Guest jimmytwobikes

Got all the new parts today, but not in a position to fit them, just had a small procedure at the hospital which has left me unable to walk far, or lift anything, will have to wait until after my hols before I can start on it!. wont be any new posts for a couple of weeks know, I am off on holiday on sat.

• 1 month later...
Guest jimmytwobikes

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: HOORAY!! Finally got the Canary back on the road, in the end I purchased a used engine out of a 2.0 Capri. just to be safe i fitted new cam belt, and tensioner, water pump and thermostat, had to do lots of swapping bits over, like sump and oil pick up pipe, and of course the hoses were all wrong! dont know why, i would have thought standard on a pinto.

Of course the rebuild didnt go smooth, sheared an exhaust stud, but used one out of my old head. once back in the car and wired and piped up, it wouldnt start!!, engine wont turn over, one new starter motor later,(Europarts £45 exchange!! and they had it in stock!!) i got it turning over, still no start!! after checking fuel, spark and timing again. i found i had fitted the dizzie 45 degrees out!! :crazy: :crazy: .

Finally it cracked up and ran smooth and quiet, no smoke, no knocks or rattles, I was very lucky with the engine. I bought it unseen off a dismantler in Bournemouth, and they delivered it for me for £40, they did promise me it was a good one, and they put a 30 day guarantee on it. Good job it was a good 'un, cos it took me longer than the 30 days to get it fitted and running!! Just been out for a blast in it and I cant stop Grinning!! 8) 8) 8). Now i have to check the stat, cos it is running hot, probably got a 92 in it, so I will fit an 88, keep it cooler.

Got it back on the road just in time for its MOT at the end of the month!!

I have a track day booked for August, will be going with my son, he has a Westfield with a 2.0 Zetec in it, and one of his mates is coming too, he has a Westfield with the Honda S2000 engine in it, hopefully he will let me have a go! its going to be faster than my pinto any way.

i would just like to say a big thank you for all the help and advice i got from you all, makes me proud to be a member of the club.

Guest mower man

It a cosworth spec but don't get frightened any good motor factor should stock it also was used on the cvh engine ,drill a 3 mm hole in it helps bleed air out my 2.1 ran very well at this temp mick :acute:

Guest jimmytwobikes

Well theres food for thought, thank you for the suggestions, I will get round to my local factors and see what i can scare up, watch this space!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jimmytwobikes

No matter what i try, the engine keeps overheating, doesnt blow any coolant out,just goes straight to the red and stays there, even without a thermostat in it. i think i have buggered the VSOS by running it hot as it puffs out blue smoke now on start up and gear change! I think maybe the head is warped, there are no restrictions in the cooling system, have flushed the system and back flushed it, especially the heater matrix, no air blocks at all, think im gonna kill myself!!