Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest mcramsay

You are trying to do to much work with not enough time, or know how to do the job correctly. Sorry to be blunt but you need to slow down a bit and stop throwing money at something money won't fix. Swapping the engine from the p100 to your car will be easy enough, but loom wise a p100 look won't just plug and play with yours. if I were closer and had the time I would help you out but sadly I'm trying to get my own car finished for iva next month. At the moment you have a graveyard of pinto engines, one of which could be salvaged easy enough. Get some help and get the new engine in and running. Then look at doing the wiring.

Don't mean to be blunt I just think you have to be realistic. The 14th of October is not that far away!

Guest lotusPaul

While I agree 14th is a bit tight it's not impossible.

The P100 seems to be working so even if it's a bit flat at least it's better than a dead engine.

Jim has a garage to be jealous off so space is good. It won't be a straight swap in and out effort but it's resonably easy, and Jim has already done a great job of swaping pumps and knows how to turn spanners.

Advice is great, but if your going to be negative,no matter how true it may be, then at least provide some positive direction.

Seem to remember a p100 race series many moons ago. You have plenty of good advice coming in from all directions, I think the most important thing is to take your time and get it right. You must have enough knowledge and parts to do the job so don't give yourself unreasonable time targets, everything always takes longer than you think. I have just been in a similar situation and the best thing I did was write off all the shows I was going to attend to take the pressure off myself so I could give myself time to do things properly. Good job too as there have been a couple of problems which I hadn't foreseen due to previous bodges before I purchased the car

Guest mcramsay

Apologies for being negative, I have just been in the same situation myself, and putting time pressures on your self never works out. Let me reword my last post in a more helpful fashion,

Start by getting the engine swap done first and get it running, at least then you will know that the engine runs in your car well,

Then when you come to do the wiring, if the engine won't run then you know it's a wiring issue. Otherwise new look and new engine together mean fault finding is much more difficult. As I said for the best and most positive outcome take it step by step and one job at a time. As Paul said you have the space and tools. Put a call out on here for some help over a weekend to help on a specific job and don't rush, at the end of the day you want to do this amount of work one time only!

Guest 2b cruising

As above. +1

Even if it is low comp, get some use and good fun out of it.

To easy to upgrade with that engine, I've carbe and turbo.

Well cheap enough as you have pleanty of time to sit back and study, search and watch prices without having a nervous finger on the button.

Hope things start to go well for you and the new engine turns things around.

Guest jimmytwobikes

ok, took the p100 carb off the pinto, put on my manual twin choke weber, cracked up first time and runs sweet. will do an oil and filter change when it is installed in the canary. Got some nice additive to put lin too, i use Ametech, find it on ebay, have used many times with good results. next job is to clean the engine, as the old rocker gasket has leaked and left loads of crap all down the side of the engine. then take out the old engine from my canary, and see where i am then. must check the clutch, i have two others so can compare and use the best one. watch this space!

Guest 2b cruising

If I were you I would check the cable is at 100'/. Before you put the engine back in the frame.

Some have a nasty habit of breaking strand by strand if the swivel is not working as should.

This of course is if you have a mechanical and not a hydraulic unit.

Guest jimmytwobikes

Hiya,

with some help i have removed the old engine block from the 2b, and have just about got the engine from the P100 ready to drop in. i will be having a go at that tomorrow, have to get the inertia fan coupling off the water pump, i need a special thin spanner to fit between the coupling and the fan pulley. I got the damaged head off to find two valve heads had broken off, one in each of the two middle cylinders, the heads of the pistons have been gouged. i must have set the cam belt up wrong, and caused the pistons to hit the valves, it doesnt take much to break them does it?