Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest lotusPaul

Remind me..old engine ran fine temp wise? New engine shows hot on gadge? Have you taken sender from old engine yet.I can't remember if I asked you. Also,I know you said you had new rad.

If it makes sence rebuild as you had before with old engine but obviously with new one in, only change one component at a time. I may be able to pop round next week.or even this Wednesday afternoon.I'll bring my tools.

My gut feelings is an electrical issue. Earths are a pain

Paul

Guest jimmytwobikes

Yes mate, the old engine ran fine temp wise, i wont be in on wednesday sorry, out working. have ordered a set of head bolts because they are stretch bolts, only £20 posted, so quite happy with that. be fitting them at the weekend probably. i hve been haveing electrical problems with it. i want to get a new loom and get it fitted, only wiring not my forte!!, gonna get the engine built up and running as it should, then will tackle the new loom. Any volunteers to fit a new loom? and which one do i buy?

Guest jimmytwobikes

i am officially sick of this f***ing car. just swapped heads, went to turn engine over on key, no plugs in, to set the cam belt up, and one of my pistons has hit a valve!!

MY current options, !/. someone please come and take it away and mend it, i will have to pay whatever it takes. 2/. Someone buy it, it has a years mot. 3/. I trade it in to someone for one that is running 100%. Polite suggestions please. Lotus Paul, can you repair it at your place?

Guest lotusPaul

Jim..forget spending a ton..I was in a training needs analysis meeting when you called..I'm back of to Germany to carry out some work but I'll be back October.

Option 1. Get a company to supply a rebuilt pinto. You fit it and put all your new parts in it.

Option 2. Get a zetec in.we have looked at the costs.

If you sell the car you will be regreting it. It's not an option.

I'm off to Germany end of next week so we have time to talk but not this weekend my parents are coming in an hour.

I think I posted a very good price on a zetec. Look into it..

Guest lotusPaul

Guys...does anyone have a zetec to twin 40 manifold and carbs..either complete or seperatly for sale?

And possibly an ignition solution too.

For helping Jim out this is. Realistic prices too please.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimmytwobikes

ok, here is my decision, i am going to sorn my canary, i will put the old head back on, get it started and running again, even if it is over heating, then the engine will be offered for sale along with all the other pinto engine bits i have. Then I am going to buy a 2.0 mondeo zetec, i have been advised to go for the earlier silver top, but am open to suggestions, i will have the complete car so i can use the mondeo ecu, wiring loom, instruments and steering column switches. my main concern is the sump. will it need altering like the pinto sump?

Guest Jay Paul

got to say mate your determination to see this through is outstanding i look forward to the progress pics

when mine developed a little knock i thought of this option but then it worked out cheaper to do it this way good luck

sump can be the dearest purchase unless you modify yourself. the silvertop sumps are all ali the blacktops are half ali half steel, have seen a few things on internet to modify but in the end i opted for a brisca sump. Mine is not from here but very similar http://www.premiermotorsportdevelopments.co.uk/brisca-f2-zetec-sump-and-pick-up-pipe-1421-p.asp not a bad price when you consider the race line ones are north of £500

Guest jimmytwobikes

I will get this car running, I am considering buying an old Dutton or similar which already has the zetec conversion, but has a knackered chassis or something, so I can buy it cheaper, and just swap things over.

a zetec swap is vastly more complicated and expensive than getting a pinto running. Even a similar donor car may not give you a suitable exhaust, you'll still need to replace you brake master cylinder with a non-servoed version / replace pedal box, fabricate engine mounts, find a suitable clutch / release bearing, along with points above.

Personally i'd fix the new pinto and get it working. There's no magic to it, you just have to think through your problems and solve them. We're here to help. Overheating can only be due to a certain number of issues, it's a matter of discerning which is the cause. New valves / regrind wont break the bank - i worry that if you don't have the heart to fix the current problems, you'll not finish the zetec conversion either.

Edited by Grim

a zetec conversion will cost a minimum of £1200 all in, however off setting the sales of parts from the pinto can reduce this. I managed it for about £500 after the sale of teh two pinto's i had, exhaust manifold, webers, spare head and various other parts.

easiest option is find a replacement pinto and throw it in and hope its a gudun alternatively carry out a rebuild but that can be costly also

I have fitted a rebuilt pinto and still having issues

Oil burn valve stems or seals

Cam worn

Low power due to ignition or fueling so i an in same mind fit bike carbs and megajolt new cam and sort head i got or fit zetec

If i fit carbs etc and all good prob keep as is so you could have same probs wi zetec

So be sure

Same dilema

Edited by jaimo

Guest lotusPaul

I will reiterate..

There is nothing wrong with a well built pinto..fantastic solid engines and the potential to produce great torque even on the simple induction setups.twin 40s do need to be setup by someone with skill but will also produce great torque. A good 4-2-1 exhaust will keep the torque rising through the rev range.

Go get David Vizards book, how to build an SOHC and while your at it, how to build and power tune DCOE carbs. Same author.

The SOHC was a main production engine and a rally car power plant for many years, even the famed Cossie turbo was based on it.

They are easy simple engines to build but equally they are dated and most garages don't rebuild any more as it's cheaper to buy a new replacement.

Essentially just build methodically and any engine,even a NASCAR v8 or an F1 v10 is just a simple air pump. More air in,mixed with correct fueling and the required spark and bingo...torque, and if your interested in pub bragging rights then include BHP.

Guest mcramsay

Valuable lesson, always turn an engine over by hand before cranking on the starter after playing with the cam belt, as you have found you don't get a second chance!!! I thought pintos were not an interference engine?