Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest 2b cruising

I think the 1600 is free running whereas all the others are interference fit.

As stated, if cam belt has been touched by either yourself or the seller, before starting ALWAYS TURN OVER TWICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START. If any kind of resistance is felt when turning over by hand, do not force it past the restriction. All this will achieve is less but still distructive damage.

Guest mcramsay

That wasn't meant to get you down either, take it on the chin, get a new head and try again. A zetec conversion is not just plug and play, get your car running and enjoy it before taking on a big big project!

Guest jimmytwobikes

OK, OK, Sod the zetec conversion, it is probably too difficult for me to do anyway. So back to the Pinto, One of the problems i have is the wiring generally is in a bad state, and needs a new loom. i also need new steering column switches and instrument panel. so i reckon the best bet is to buy a complete running car, so i can test the engine for soundness and not overheating. and get all the other parts i need as well? watch this space!!

Guest Jay Paul

well we have just done the bits on my pinto and quite cheap tbh its all running sweet as a nut although i think im quite lucky as our area has alot of boys who work on pintos in their sleep

also my local roller guy is old school and loves carbs and stuff so right up his street and cheap as well @ £50 a hour

tbh i wa slooking at zetec route but weighed it all up and it just didnt make sense to me ok a standard zetec will give more than a pinto thats had some work but im quite happy withmy chosen route

im not sure on your prices where your from but it might be worth speaking to the local guys around here as i think some still trade in hay and cider id willingly pass their details over and by the way im just outside Carmarthen

Guest 2b cruising

I will be in that area when out of hospital and recovered.

My son and I have spoken about a trip over the blacks, Brecons and then on to Snowdonia. We would spend probably a couple of nights in b&b in the Capel Curig or Betews'y coed. Or however you spell it area.

The trip is a little up in the air at the moment. It's very dependant on my recovery from pancreasitis followed closely by the weather.

My son lives in Pembroke Dock so if you might be interested I can always contact you about the trip later on.

Ps Walking for me unfortunately a big no no these days so if you want to do something like walk up the fan, you would either be on your own or with my son. LoL.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest jimmytwobikes

Right! I have been and gone and done it!!! I am now the proud owner of a 1993 P100 with a 2.0 pinto engine in it that sounds good, drives well, pulls heartily and doesnt overheat! The P100 is mot'd until June next year and although a little tatty is basically sound. i did consider customising it, but the wife blew her top!! Ideally I would like someone to do the engine swap for me, repair my loom with the P100 loom, fit the P100 instrument panel and steering column controls onto my 2B. Payment can be straight cash or if you fancy a mot'd P100 rolling shell with my old pinto engine and bits in the back, that could be done too!! OR if anyone wanted the non butchered P100, all they have to do is get my 2B repaired as listed. Then they can driveaway a FREE P100. The work can be carried out in my garage, copious quantities of tea/coffee supplied, even a bacon buttie or three!! Ideally i would like the 2B back on the road for the 14th october as i have a track day booked with my son, who has, and it pains me greatly to say, a Westfield with a 2.0 Zetec in it!!!

Guest mower man

AS EVER more haste less speed sit down with thinking head on and sort a definite plan including budget ,availability of parts and amount of skill available , stick to the plan , dont carry on working into the small hours complete at task and go to bed ! If you havent the skills , tools or time or any combination of these buy it in . Sorry to be boring but I have gone wrong in the past and know how much grief it can bring to pocket and sanity :acute: mick

Guest jimmytwobikes

My initial intention was to simply swap engines and sump etc, However, i want to get the p100 running as smooth as possible before transplant, so i am going to give it a full service and swap carbs over, its got an auto choke one on which is knackered as it doesnt like cold starting. i was going to put my twin choke on it and get it running right then swap.MY old engine has new water pump, cambelt and tensioner, so i will nick that back.