Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest jimmytwobikes

I am looking forward to Pauls judgement on it, will keep it posted, there seems to be a lot of interest in the engine.

Guest mcramsay

Trick of the light! It looks like the chamfer around the bearing housing is casting a shadow making it look like there is a gap. Looks normal! You will have some end float in the cam, this is set by a thrust plate sat in a groove in the cam, this limits the amount of thrust and surge on the cam.

Guest 2b cruising

One thing that does look very wrong.

Where is all the oil that should be there.

You cam bearings look a dry as Ghandi's ba**s.

Guest jimmytwobikes

I had drained the oil a day before I started stripping and I had used 5/30 semi synth, so it being a bit thin, it might have drained off more thoroughly than 20/50 oil would do?

Kent RL31 is about the most cam you can put in a road engine with cast pistons. IMHO

I have one in a 2.1, it's peaky and only comes to life after 3500rpm but after that hang on.

To make it usable you need compression, which is limited by the pistons at 10.5 to 1 ish, realy need forged and 11.2 to 1 but it felt OK to me.

We have not as yet got to the bottom of the knocking so could the noise be detonation? Ignition to far advanced for cam/ compression combination?

Guest lotusPaul

Hopefully I'll be able to pop round tomorrow for a diagnostic look.

I want to inspect the whole engine and components, make sure we know where we are starting from and what is the light at end of tunnel.

At best its a simple bearings in and out.

At worst its a fully rebuilt motor.

Guest lotusPaul

Quite possibly..so much swarf in sump we were picking it out loads. White metal in nugget size chunks.

Defo needs complete bottom end. Head looked ok tho. But will get stripped backed and cleaned too. It's gonna be a damm good motor when its rebuilt. Jim wants to sell it when its rebuilt, that'll be a real sweet deal for someone.