Wiring Rocker Switches

nelmo

OK, I thought I'd be able to work this out but I can't...

I've got a 3 way rocker switch (page 142 of the CBS catalogue) for the wipers which has 4 pins on the back and 2 side terminals for illumination.

Switch position 1 (slow speed) = pins 1 and 2 made (I don't really understand what that means).

Switch position 2 (fast speed) = pins 2 and 4 made.

Switch position 3 (Park?) = pins 4 and 5 made.

I need to connect this up to the GBS loom which has pins labelled:

Wiper +

Speed 1

Speed 2

Park

Can anyone explain how this works?

OK, that's sort of what I hoped 'made' meant...but I assume that means you need the '+' to one pin and the signal to the other and I can't work out a way of doing that. For example:

Loom Switch

==== ======

Wiper + ---> pins 2 and 5

Speed 1 ---> pin 1

Speed 2 ---> pin 4

Park ---> pin 4??

Hurting my head...

Lucas motors are a little strange, the park feed MUST be switched OFF before supplying power to Speed 1, or it will blow a fuse. This is done in the Lucas switch, and can be made to work on many donor switches.

This is its workings,

http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/electrical/wipers/2speed/2SpeedWiperMotor.html

Haven't time to consider if you can connect to your switch at present will have a think this evening.

Why is the motor an issue? Surely a switch is a switch?

I used the wiper switch just as an example - I have other switches I also have to wire up (lights, hazards etc) and I thought it was just a matter of the principle of how how these rocker switches work. Lots of people use them so there must be a method of connecting them up, no?

Ah OK, I think I've got it - I've been trying to get power in the park position but I get it, there shouldn't be any in park.

So it think it should be like this:

Loom Switch

===== ======

+ ---> pin 2

Slow ---> pin 4

Fast ---> pin 1

Park ---> pin 5 (or 4 - doesn't matter as long as it doesn't involve pin 2 which has the power).

If anyone could confirm, that would be great...

Edited by nelmo

The output from the switch to the slow terminal on the motor has to be a pin making two possible connections. One of its connections inside the switch must be with the live input to the switch. The other of its connections inside the switch must be to the park return from the motor. The live input to the switch must also be capable of output to the fast terminal on the motor.

Possible connections are:

1 & 2

2 & 4

4 & 5

In practical terms you would probably want the switch positions to be 1 Off/Park. 2 Slow. 3 Fast.

In which case connect;

1 Park return from the motor

2 Slow output to motor

4 Live input to switch

5 Fast output to motor

Remember the motors only have three wires connecting them to the switch.

Park return. Lucas motor terminal 2 Sierra motor terminal 31B

Slow feed. Lucas motor 5. Sierra motor 53

Fast feed. Lucas motor 3. Sierra motor 53B

Note the motors also need a 12V feed from the car loom. Lucas 4. Sierra 53A. and an earth to the loom/car body. Lucas 1. Sierra 31.

Well that's how I would wire it. You have picked a most complicated switch to start on, rivalled only by the hazard switch or rear fog switch.

I don't know the exact layout of the switch internals but if the possible connections listed are correct then it will be OK.

I don't know the zero loom colours so you will have to test to identify wires.

There are always alternate ways of doing wiring.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

+ ---> pin 2

Slow ---> pin 4

Fast ---> pin 1

Park ---> pin 5 (or 4 - doesn't matter as long as it doesn't involve pin 2 which has the power).

Yes you can do it that way round. But park to pin 5 only. Not to pin 4. It does matter because the park return is returning power from the motor which the switch has to direct out of the slow output pin of the switch back to the motor to drive the park cycle. This return/redirected lectric stops once the motor mechanically reaches its park position and the motor stops.

Nigel

Thanks longboarder - and yes, I see what you mean now that Park must be to pin 5.

Yes, the hazard switch looks darn complicated but there is a decent diagram in the CBS catalogue, so hopefully that will be OK.

The fog light looks very simple - only 2 pins so isn't that just output from the dipped beam switch to one (so fog only comes on when dipped is on) and the fog signal to the other?

What I can see being tricky is the main beam switch (I haven't got stalks so all switches on the dash, in case you were wondering). The main beam rocker switch has 6 pins which seems weird for a one position switch but I'm guessing it has to link up to the sidelight switch so that it only comes on if you've also got dipped beam on? Strangely, no diagram in the CBS catalogue for that...

Edited by nelmo

I would caution you against not having column switches. Looks interesting and gives a nice row of switches on a custom dash but column switches are a convenient very practical way to control stuff like dipping, indicators, flash etc. There are good ergonomic reasons that all modern cars have so much on column stalks. It really does work well that way.

I'm sure CBS can give you more information on wiring their other switches.

Nigel

I partly chose that route because I couldn't find any Sierra stalks with wires and I didn't want the difficulty of trying to fit another make to my Ford steering column. I'm sure they're better ergonomically but I like the idea of something different.