Rs 2000 Alley Sump Hairline Crack

Gusty

Guest 2b cruising

Not if it is a vibration crack.

The vibration will not stop acting so it will brake the joint when the chemical metal is fully set.

If it is through damage by striking something then it should do the job.

The difficult part in doing such a repair is caused by the ingres of oil into the serfaces of the actual crack.

Welding is the premium fix but sump must come off for that.

Hi,

I will pull the engine out in the winter and tig it up but I want a temp repair for now. When I rebuilt the engine , I cleaned and inspected the sump and it looked perfect,I even had it powder coated . The car has not left the drive since rebuild and has only idled on the drive. It has a hairline crack on the corner. I have drilled it to stop it spreading, I'm planning on grinding a vee , cleaning thoroughly with brake cleaner then an epoxy of some sort.

Thanks guys

JB Weld

or POR 50 fuel tank sealer

However RS2000 sumps are worth a fair bit so professional rig welding is the way to go

I use Paul Gooderham, 907 on Locostbuilders as he is a supreme welder and fabricator

He modified my RS2000 sump and used some special indicator to prove the welds were fluid tight

It might be worth considering having extra protection added to the sump while you have it out for welding.

I had some 5mm checker plate welded to my chopped ally Zetec sump with a return at the front, just to be on the safe side

• 3 weeks later...