Pinto To Zetec

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi still going to change my 1.6 pinto to an upgrade, I've researched alternatives and it seems that the easiest and slightly cheapest is a 2.0 Zetec , I've just one question would I have to get rid of brake servo, if so how do I go about it, would I have to change Sierra pedal box, what and where do I get parts. Cheers. Dave

Guest lotusPaul

You can get rid of the servo and run softer pads. Lotus owners do this and seem to like it better..your choice on that I guess.

Alternative

Assuming Webber will be the choice of carbs, you can tap the manifold to provide a take off for a vacuum.

Guest DAVE1954

Cheers mate when I get rid of servo, would I use same master cylinder, so I would need a different plunger between cylinder and brake pedal, can I use Sierra pedal box,I've got a set of zx6r carbs .

if you want decent brakes you will need more than just softer pads in the 2b when when removing the servo, i removed mine on my 2b and ended up with very wooden brakes, people on here have made the sierra pedal box work non servo. i wasnt happy with it after trying various options so changed it to a gbs zero pedal box.

Imy opinion having messed with many a kit car is to use decent pedal box with twin master cylinders its the proper way to go about it, i have a very good setup in my stylus with awesome brakes without a servo. All depends on how many £££ you want to spend and how much time you have to throw at it.

i used this in my stylus http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Kit-Car-Motorsports/Kit-Car-Premium-V2/Premium-Hydraulic-Clutch/Premium-Kit-Car-Hydraulic-Clutch-V2-OBPKCP103

Edited by DanE

Sierra pedals, Fiat 132 master cylinder (the Ka cylinder won't fit under my bonnet line), new vented discs and pads, new drums and shoes. 140bhp engine. Grippy tyres. My brakes have plenty of feel and stops ok and I'm happy with it

You might find that giving your existing system a good overhaul will improve it enormously. I changed all pads and shoes and replaced the slave cylinders on the front and that improved the feel and performance no end. I'm still running drums on the back but the whole system was designed for a car weighing twice as much unladen and you can't put five people in a two seater. If you did the overhaul first you could see if this gave any improvement and this might help you decide if you want to go servo or not.

The one thing I don't like about my system is the Sierra pedal box, brake and gas pedals are too close together for my feet. The fix for now is to wear an old pair of carting boots but at some time I may change it.