Dead Supercharger

speedtripledan

300miles and one dead supercharger!! Seized solid on quick run to Richards, thought my car had caught fire at one point the amount of smoke that came out of the engine bay, thankfully it was just the belt burning and snapping.

20170408_100848_zpsi63ejaef.jpg

20170408_100916_zpszicu92a4.jpg

Talk about *bleep* off!!!

Edited by DanE

Guest mcramsay

How did you have the charger mounted? Horizontally or vertically, it lt looks like thrust bearing failure, or too much end float, you can see the face of each rotor has machined the end of the casing. Ive seen this before on pumps that have had either too much end float, been mounted vertically with cheap thust bearings. If it was roller bearing wear then the rotors tend to thrust apart and machine the sides of the casing rather than the end caps.

If you can supply more photos of bearings etc I can diagnose further. Work on these types of pumps quite a lot at work.

Having closely inspected all components of the charger this morning, the only possible cause is that something got sucked into the rotors;

Front bearings and gears are perfect condition

Clearance between the rotor ends and gear plate is fine

Rear bearings are fine

The damage is all isolated at the rear (intake) end.

The biggest mystery is how something got sucked in. The bypass and throttlebody and all fine (no bits have fallen off) and the intake tube is polished smooth inside (i.e no weld debris to fall off).

Like Dan says, I don't think we're ever going to know for sure....it just seems really bad luck.

Fortunately the charger is standard so it's a straightforward swop.

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1

My cousin who works on large lorrys says to check the air filter for any metal parts missing or broken that may have been injested

There is clearly som metal on the end of the rotor that should not be thete