Lost Key for Ignition Barrel

Guest Ashley_Stehr

Guest Ashley_Stehr

Hi all, 

I have had a project in the garage for a number of years now and am using the opportunity of working from home to make so progress. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the key for the ignition barrel during a move. Any advise of how to get a replacement key or failing that a replacement barrel. Not sure how to remove it without they key either. Steering lock is on! Its a Ford unit (see picture). HELP!!

Thanks

Ashley

IMG_0095.JPG

I see your problem. According to the manual the barrel needs to be in position 1 with the key for it to be removed. A quick Google shows a couple of options. If you are very lucky, your barrel will have the key code stamped on the outside somewhere. 1980's security! Some old school locksmiths will be able to make a key. Other option is to drill out the shear bolts? 

Hopefully someone will be along with an easier option. Keep looking for the key😁

I just used a hacksaw to cut mine out and then replaced with a new one which came with keys. I don't remember exactly which bits I hacksawed off - I think I just did the whole top bit and maybe poked some holes on the side which had locking pins in - this was the result:

ignition.jpg

Guest Ashley_Stehr
4 hours ago, brumster said:

Thanks. I note they are currently out of stock but will see if I can get one. Is there any way of knowing if this is the right one for the column that I have? I believe it is from a Sierra so suggests it is correct. Is anyone aware of anywhere else I could buy one of these?

Guest Ashley_Stehr
3 hours ago, dandan62 said:

I see your problem. According to the manual the barrel needs to be in position 1 with the key for it to be removed. A quick Google shows a couple of options. If you are very lucky, your barrel will have the key code stamped on the outside somewhere. 1980's security! Some old school locksmiths will be able to make a key. Other option is to drill out the shear bolts? 

Hopefully someone will be along with an easier option. Keep looking for the key😁

I will go and check to see if I can see any numbers. Does anyone know any locksmiths who would be able to cut the key based on the number and post it?

Guest Ashley_Stehr
2 hours ago, nelmo said:

I just used a hacksaw to cut mine out and then replaced with a new one which came with keys. I don't remember exactly which bits I hacksawed off - I think I just did the whole top bit and maybe poked some holes on the side which had locking pins in - this was the result:

ignition.jpg

If I get no joy with a replacement key and am able to find a new barrel to suit then this seems like it will be my best option!

2 hours ago, Ashley_Stehr said:

Thanks. I note they are currently out of stock but will see if I can get one. Is there any way of knowing if this is the right one for the column that I have? I believe it is from a Sierra so suggests it is correct. Is anyone aware of anywhere else I could buy one of these?

I'm 99% sure you'll be fine. My car had the old-style flat key barrel originally (1985 model year) and when I built the Zero I bought the new lock style with the more modern Ford key, as per the kit spares link, and it fitted into the steering column no problem. So I think (fingers crossed) they're the same across the model years, they just changed the barrel key fitment, if my experience was anything to go by...