Do i need iva ?

Spanners

Evening All 

First time question as bit confused. Hopefully someone can shed some light   My robin hood has a v5 and a registration its had some mots all be it last one ran out in 2015 do i need an iva test or has it had one to get a v5 ? Its registered as 03 August 1998 so needs a  catalyst emission test unless iva proof otherwise 

Thanks in advance 

Tim 

Re-emissions, I've recently had the Sumo MOT'd and it's V5 doesn't give any emissions figures (neither does it's SVA certificate which I have a copy of).

I spent quite a while with Martyn, (the owner of the garage who I've known for 30+ years) and , after a lot of googling and DVLA websites we are pretty sure that if it doesn't say anything on the V5, the emissions should be based on the stated age of the engine fitted at SVA.

My engine is 1982 vintage so the figures are 4.5% CO and 1200ppm HC

Martyn is a very experienced MOT tester and he's still not 100% certain so you may well find different test stations having different opinions.

Registered in 1998 I think yours would have been SVA tested (not IVA) and I think you can get copies of the SVA certificate from DVLA if you want.

Im so thankful for all ur help guys i was worried i would have just a track car ... No values on v5 (thanks darrell)  . I also looked into the mot manual on emission last week  (very confusing) but because my v5 is registered 1998 it seemed i needed a cat test . but after your messages and great knowledge it made me think and ive looked back on old paperwork that i was lucky enough to get from original owner and found an original v5 (from many years ago) that has a declaration that my robin hood is a 1984.  Also old mots have emissions print outs of levels that Foz said ( thank you for so much information) so can have emissions tested on older levels . So pleased this club has amazing members that are willing to help . Im now hooked  with this club i just hope i can help like u have helped me 

I don't know this for certain but when I took mine for test the 'system' appeared to tell the tester what to do. It is a fairly new MOT setup as the garage was taken over by a new owner and he had to update all the equipment from the stuff used by the previous owner (apparently the old MOT equipment was permitted but only as long as the old owner continued the business) The new equipment is all linked directly to DVLA for brake tests and emissions.

So when the car is logged on, he still has to select the option for emissions, but when he selects my vehicle the computer only asks him to rev and then respond whether or not there was any visible smoke (think it was at revs not at tickover). Mine is also 1984 but built before IVA/SVA so I think that the manual confirms that it is visible smoke only.

the wording in the MOT manual states for kit cars if no emiission is shown it goes on the "date of first use" this is not on the log book but is detailed on the MOT computer. Mine was built 2010 but has an age related plate and the date of first use on the DVLA computer is 1986 

Extracts from the manual

'For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • *bleep*el rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated vehicles'
  •  
  • and
  • 'Kit cars

Kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle’s registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.'

• So it reads to me that

• Firstly pre IVA/SVA for emissions only are treated as first used before 1975 (which I think is visible smoke only)

• Secondly IVA?SVA vehicles either the limits on the log book or if none, the limits of the engine fitted at the IVA?SVA

Edited by emptyat

Hi all sorry for late reply.  Thank you all for advice really appreciate it . I read the mot manual back to front on the emission lol my hood is registered 03 August 1998 but mot manual states before 01 august 1998 so had to find proof it was manufactured earlier.  Thankfully i could thanks to an old v5 . If i hadn't found this i would have to get a copy of iva/sva which is an online application not sure how easy it would have been... on the  dvsa mot system its only dated 03 auugust 1998 and no emission levels on v5 so mot station needed proof before doing the test . Hope all you guys have had a good day