What Does Your Avatar Signify?

Jon Bradbury

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this piccy of Homer. The X-Ray shows the mentality needed to build and run a Robin Hood, or any kit car for that matter. In fact, it could be me all over!

D'oh!!!

Daz

Guest TerryBarry

Ahhhhh got the second hammer

AND

No I'm not a West Ham supporter :rolleyes:

Although I was sorry to see them go down.

But now we can have a Local Derby

Terry

Guest Andy Hamilton

Finally found that I-4 avatar. :D

Animated too you will notice (that sounds like Yoda)

Yup, Pistons rods and crank without the block Jon.

Guest Andy Hamilton

Well obviously being the automotive engineer that I am I noticed this straight away......... NOT!

You are indeed correct. it is obviously created by some computer spod with no engineering ability whatsoever!

Oh well, they can't all be engineering genii like ourselves hey??!! ;)

Guest mickmellors

Nigels Right ! But wouldn't a 4 cylinder 2-stroke run that way ?

Only guessing !

Most I had (on bikes) was 3 cylinders on a Suzuki 2-stroke and 3 on a BSA Rocket 3 4-stroke - never progressed to 4 ! - Maybe now that I'm a big Boy ! ( No comments required - I know I could do with losing a stone - or six ! ) d;-)

Guest Andy Hamilton

Two strokes!! those smokey old things... afraid I have never had the pleasure of a two stroke. I am a four stroke diesel man myself, anything you ever wanted to know.... oh yeah, smokey old things. Maybe two stroke and diesel go hand in hand.

I think you may be right though Mick, seems about right that they repeat the cycle every one revolution rather than two.

Guest Battery Bill

Yes Andy

Do you not have a part in the design of the Mondeo Diesel engine?

Well why have I recently had to pay nearly £600 because a silly cambelt idler pully wheel failed ?

I will have to get one of these Avatar's, Probably mine would be an empty wallet floating away

(Thanks Andy)

Bill and Joey

Guest Andy Hamilton

The 1.8 IDI was developed well before I arrived at Ford in 1998. if you want to see some of my best work, take a drive in the Focus 1.8 TDCi. Now there's a quality engine! maybe you might like to try the Mondeo 2.0 TDCi, also had a hand in that. I am not telling you all which parts I develop just in case your bits fail!! ;) Honestly.. I trust my work. In all seriousness though, they are excellent engines, both voted best in class when launched, and something to be proud of. Just like my RH2B when it is finished.

Andy

If a 2 stroke 4 cylinder engine ran like your avatar, wouldn't it put uneven torque stresses on the crank? I'd expect it to brak in no time.

Of course, I am a computer spod with no proper engineering experience, otherwise I wouldn't be asking...

Guest Andy Hamilton

I just did a search for 'animated gif' and 'engine' from google and it gave me a few sites to trawl through. But more importantly you may need to resize the gif to get it to fit the little 64x64 window for your avatar. You can't do this in a standard graphics package, as animated gif's are a series of single shots linked together. To resize it you will need to download a piece of software called Gif Construction Set. just do a search for it from google. It is about 4Mb in size, and is shareware, so you don't need to pay anything for it.

Jon, You may be right, looking at the Bosch automotive handbook, it seems that a two stroke would still fire 1 3 4 2 like a four stroke. The avatar is firing 1 2 3 4 or 4 3 2 1 however you look at it. This would produce significant torque wind up in the crank, increasing the mean stress, where the stress amplitude will remain the same, therefore reducing the fatigue safety factor as plotted on the modified goodman diagram. For gods sake man..... it's an avatar! :D