Superspec

Guest Build-it

I think the writer, has been on here, I think a couple of the Yorks lads went to see him when he was trying to sort the wiring out,

I know his address is near Bazwaz, that is unless there are two SS in that area

Mitch

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stu205

hes considering leagal action christ i think RHE should consider slander against him! im surprised the mag printed it!! he sounds like the type of guy who would like the look of an audi A8 then complain that his A4 hasnt got a leather covered petrol cap!!

Well if RHE had a microphone in my shed when I was building the Sub-K they would have herd plenty of slanderous remarks :lol: However, I do understand his point, the kits don't simply fit together and that's why we have such a great owners club and I pitty anyone building a RH without it's support.

Guest chris brown
I pitty anyone building a RH without it's support.
There must be lots if the number of unfinished kits hidden in garages across the country is anything to go by. Its a shame realy when all they have to do is spend £15 a year for fantastic support or for that matter just come on the site for free.

I think the writer, has been on here, I think a couple of the Yorks lads went to see him when he was trying to sort the wiring out,

I know his address is near Bazwaz, that is unless there are two SS in that area

Mitch, It's not the Super Spec me and Barry went to see as that was non turbo from Otley. And yes the wiring was a right b*stard.

Yes I can see his point on fundamental things blatantly not working and also the opposing view.

Proves it pays to do yor homework and join the club!

Hmmm. I think that the points he's raised are valid, and I also think that Robin Hood should have handled his questions more professionally. The editor of the magazine gave good advice (re joining the club) but it's worth remembering that although we support each other during the build phase of our cars, you ought to be able to get the support from the kit manufacturer as well. Especially as it is advertised as part of the service. It isn't the club's job to make up for shortfalls in RH customer service.

The law is quite clear on the sale of goods. They should be fit for the purpose. Sounds to me like the kit this chap bought is not. I mean, speedo going backwards? God. It is not good enough to say "they all do that, sir"!!

The other thing about "fit for purpose" is that it is advertised as a kit that will go through SVA. Well, not without various modifications and (in some instances) a change of (supplied) components.

I am surprised RHSC has got away with it for so long.

Having said that, I am going through a good phase of my build (ie, nearing the end) and at the moment I'm very happy and looking forward to the SVA inspector laughing at my workmanship as he writes out the fail note. <_<

That's my personal opinion by the way. I am still glad I bought it.

Well I have to confess...... :ph34r:

I didn't do a LOT of research on the actual kit itself. Been after a kit since I was about 12. Got the chance of buying one so I started surfing the net for suppliers, started with caterham of course, that was WAY too much money :o .

Eventually found the Superspec on RHE website and thought "mmmm looks interesting" :) . Went to the next kit car show (that weekend) wondered around the RHOCaR area, chatted to a coule of guys there then went to look at the Kit. Liked it, went to the factory the following weekend ask a load of questions and eventually ordered one the next week.

It is true that the kit was marketed as a complete sva compatible product, having said that there was a very clear disclaimer that they would assist with any and all items needed during the build to make sure it went through the SVA (so far they have with my build).

When I very first started I have to admit I WAS dissapointed with the engineering of some of the kit, But I'd spent 2 months waiting for the kit to arrive reading this site. You do need a certain state of mind to appreciate a HOOD without getting too dispondant, and yep I've had moments, but on the whole I'm having a great time building the car.

And Tech Support Line isnt the warmest of Customer facing services I've encountered, but I've never known blatant rudeness...

Just my twopeneth...

e

Guest joni

When I first enquired about building a kit, I spoke to Richard and he reassuringly said that as long as I could use hand tools I shouldn't have too much problem with the build. Before that I had never even changed the oil on a car before so knew just from looking at the RHE demo 2b that I was in for a long haul and it was going to be a hell of a challenge. I'm not quite sure how they word it but I think they should probably make it more clear exactly how much modification and replacement parts will be required to make the kit SVA compatible or even fit together and work properly. That huge radiator they supply is a good example. Having said that once you are aware of the completely different scale of the challenge compared to building a Caterham etc it really feels like a much bigger achievement. None of our cars are exactly the same and we have REALLy built them ourselves. I can think of hundreds of times I've been swearing at RHE and my car in the garage, but getting a challenging job done on the car and really solving problems is such a satisfying feeling its got to be worth it in the end. And I can;t even imagine how good its going to be when I get my baby on the road! One of my freinds has built an expensive D type jag replica but even spending £15000 or something on a kit there was still a hell of a lot of fettling to be done on it. Also I guess the superspec is sold in a different league to the 2b so maybe the guy was right to expect it to be easier, following the 'you gets what you pays for rule?' Hope he gets it sorted though, and gets on the website. I've found it invaluable andonly wish I knew about it earlier on in my building process. Maybe new builders should be given a flyer from Robin Hood telling them about the RHOCAR site? It would have made all the difference when I was fitting my side panels to read old posts of what other people had done, and how they got round problems. Whew!

Guest TerryBarry
Maybe new builders should be given a flyer from Robin Hood telling them about the RHOCAR site?

RHOCaR was given two whole pages(69 & 70) in the last RHSC brochure that I have.

A couple of interesting quotes are:

“You can put 100 Robin Hoods together, as the club have done a number of times and no two are alike, even the same model. The Robin Hood brings out the ingenuity in the builder”

The web addresses of the Main Site and the Community are given

“All of these are packed with interesting articles and are excellent opportunities to pass on knowledge and information between fellow members and to pick their brains when help is needed.

If you buy a kit then the time to join the club is as you start the build, , not as you finish it. This will enable you to draw on the vast knowledge and enthusiasm present within the membership.”

I feel sure that most of this text was derived from our committee, but it is there in the brochure.

It doesn’t go as far as to say – If you want decent help this is the place to go – but then I wouldn’t expect it to. ;)

Guest joni

Erm... oh yeah just seen that.. in my own experience when i picked up my kit i didnt think i got any literature with an advert or anything from RHOCAR, but now im wondering if i just missed seeing it?? :wub:

Guest TerryBarry
picked up my kit i didnt think i got any literature with an advert or anything from RHOCAR, but now im wondering if i just missed seeing it??

No you would not have got anything about RHOCaR when picking up the kit.

I got a couple of pages of closely typed A4 which "covered" points not included in the videos.

There was one bit "On a final word, there is one more tricky operation for you to do.........." - with experience don't you know this is going to be real fun :D

Guest joni

Its a tricky one because on the one hand I can see RH do give good customer support and as the supplier shouldnt offload customers problems onto a 3rd party, so RH should be totally self sufficient in dealing with customers problems. On the other hand it is a huge huge benefit having this website with old posts on it on hand to search for advice and problem solving which is often more detailed and helpful than the build videos, so maybe veryone who buys a RH should be made aware of the club when they buy it. Seems strange considering how big the club is but I had absolutely no idea it existed until about a year into having my kit, and finding the site has made things so much easier. I guess the club has to keep a proffesional distance from RH itself.

Guest craig030774

3 cheers for rho-car

all i can say is a big thank you to all the people who have given me advise and a neww look at problems that would otherwise still be going on around my head.

and another thing if there was no rhe i for one wouldnt be waiting for postie with my s.v.a date.

been over a week and a half now :angry: :angry: :angry:

Guest Dredd

Call me cynical but he "Recently bought the Kit Car magazine........ " So how recently did he buy it, and amazingly got it to a stage of build when he could see that the speedo was going backwards. This may be the quickest build in history! It took me some months before I got to that stage.

How come no other SpuperSpec builder on this site has experienced the speedo phenominon, even though we all use the same components?

The wiring can be dangerous if you don't route it correctly or fuse appropriatly.

Yes RH technical help can be terse but if you start being confrontational, the resistance gows stronger!!

Something not quite right here :ph34r: