Rear Springs

Guest Battery Bill

Guest Battery Bill

Looking back at some threads from years ago there seems to be springs of different types on the various donor.

So do these look like aftermarket jobbies or have Ford started to paint them red?

The spring wire is about 14-15mm thick :blink: :blink:

post-3-1116443014.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark kingston

:lol: from memory of the 2b rear set up you are suppost to use the spring seat you salvaged when cutting up the macpherson struts to get the shafts for the sliding pillar bit.

These spring seats are suppost to be located into the bottom of the roll bar ends.

from what i remember the seats and springs are a close fit to the rest of the chassis in the corner area where the seat back panel mounts.

the photo looks wrong to me as the tops of the springs seem to far back??

regards

Mark kingston :wub:

Guest TerryBarry

Original rear springs off my donor are

OD = 128mm

Free length = 310mm

Wire dia = 14.5mm

They are black with a daub of blue paint (must mean something to Mr Ford)

Guest Battery Bill

Terry

Mar 3 2003, 08:22 PM 

Alan,

The rear springs off my donor Sierra were parallel

The approx dimensions are:

Length 31 cm

Diameter 13 cm

Wire diameter 14 mm.

HTH

Terry

Your measurements have changed :lol: :lol: :p

Guest madmax

You may like to try progressive rear estate car springs as the extra stiffness reduces travel and stops rear end bounce. I put two rubber caravan assisters in each estate car spring to stiffen the back further and increase roadholding at high speed. Works great for me ;) Colin

Guest Battery Bill

Colin

Its not even been on the road yet so I dont know what its springyness is like its just the contacting the drive shafts thats the first worry :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A possible solution to this is to cut a V from the mounting bar above the upper spring seat as shown below. A bit of geometry or a sensible guess will allow you to calculate the V angle needed and the distance above the seat to cut and weld to move the spring forward enough to correct the tendency to bow backward in compression, move it clear of the half shaft and keep it square at rest to the spring end. Does the spring stay properly located in both seats at full droop?

Might be a lot easier to buy a pair of rear coilovers with springs!

Nigel

Guest Battery Bill

Paul

I don't think so I think if you run a line straight down the centre of your two it will go through the hole in the wishbone.

The spring is sitting towards the rear end of the cup which makes me wonder about it being the right one or not. I think Nigel has hit it on the head with his last statement "buy a pair of rear coilovers with springs!"

Shame I got rid of my old Zeemers :lol: isn't that always the case :D

Guest Cantbearsed

Is this pic from your. . .sorry, Joey's car Bill?

It's not due to the additional rear end weight from your boot-mounted electical storage device is it..... :D

Springs in pic look like front aftermarket ones to me. Can meure brand-new unused ones on monday if you like. Keep a pair on the shelf at work. Black with a light blue paint daub.

Can the top mounting seat be rotated to give different siting arrangements for the spring or is it welded in?

Guest Battery Bill
Is this pic from your. . .sorry, Joey's car Bill?

Cheeky Burger :p :p :p

No its not look Here for the full story :rolleyes:

Yes if you could let me know how much new ones cost

Can the top mounting seat be rotated to give different siting arrangements for the spring or is it welded in?

Anythings possible but it would be a tad awkward as its bolted in and would mean redrilling etc which is not too easy at this stage of a build. :D

Can the top mounting seat be rotated to give different siting arrangements for the spring
Anythings possible but it would be a tad awkward as its bolted in and would mean redrilling

Bill, if the top spring seat was rotated in the tube 180 degrees the bolt should go back through without drilling.

I used the rubber seat that was on top of the sierra rear springs to help to keep the spring central in the upper mount.

Les