2b Jack?

Guest pistol

Guest pistol

Still building a 2B (slidinig pillar :( ) and wondered what you lads carry as a jack. With ground clearance being pretty low between the wishbone and the ground during the event of a flat tyre I guess a trolley jack is out. I had planned to fit some half round sections to some Vauxhall Nova jacks but wondered if there was any other car manufacturers jacks which could be easily adapted for the purpose.

Guest Petemate

Likewise - a scissor jack. I'll be modding it by shaping a piece of 3mm steel into a half-cup drilled to fit on the spigot on the jack. This will be used on the round members at the front. Another piece of 3mm will be cut into a 3" square, lined with hard rubber, also drilled to fit the jack spigot. this can then be used to jack up the car from the rear sides.

HTH

Petemate

P.S these jacks are available from scrappies very reasonable. Mine, however, came from the very kind TV Area Sec.... :wub:

Neither did Mitch!!!! :rolleyes:  until he had a puncture on the motorway :unsure:  :(

That's what Holts Tyre Weld is for.

Lotus used to fit a can as standard to the Mk 1 Elise so they could save the weight of a spare. I was very surprised when I found it in the front compartment.

<sigh> How I miss that car... :boohoo:

Guest alan rowe

I carry a can of the Tyre weld even though i've got a spare wheel (directional tyres so sods law it would be the wrong side that puctures)

Jim, You are defiantely losing it, Motorway was no petrol, puncture was Blackpool.

And tyre weld doesnt work on splits in the wall, but carring members names and phone numbers help with repairs.

Mitch

Jim, You are defiantely losing it, Motorway was no petrol, puncture was Blackpool.
It's an age thing! :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, I don't run out of petrol, and I DO have a jack! :p

(sensible time now)

directional tyres so sods law it would be the wrong side that puctures

Directional tyres are only about water clearance from the tread pattern, (scoops the water to the outside of the tyre) no problem in the dry, or careful in the wet until you've got it fixed.

Metro scissor jack works fine & fits in the nosecone, at the side, tightened between the upper & lower chassis rail. The handle tiewraps to the steering rack, neat & easy & means the bonnet is up as a warning to approaching traffic.

Guest alan rowe

you're right Jim but it would look a bit wierd but at least would get me home though so maybe a scissor jack is not such a bad idea for the times that the tube of weld stuff can't solve the problem - last resort is i'm in the RAC and they can change it for me

A