Suspension

Guest STEVE OXON

Guest STEVE OXON

hi all, having now done 600+ miles i think the zimmerframes are ****.

what has anybody used ie avo /spax / koni /gaz

sizes and spring poundages would be good.also best poss prices.

i know somebody will point me in the right direction.

cheers all

steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Battery Bill

Steve

i take it from the roaring silence that i am on my own then.

Sorry nobody answered you quicker :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try looking around the site and you will find all the information you are after re shockers, Look at peoples website will also give you the information you are after

Hi Steve

I have fitted the gaztech ones, im happy with them, but others have had problems,

you will need to measure the shockers you have and check the fittings (typicaly RH supplied different ones with different batchs)

Its easy to do, remove one front, one back, measure open and closed lenghts, check mounting hole size's (mine were not the same top and bottom) and fixing type, ie bracket or threaded rod type.

Im not sure what length or spring size i bought (cant find paperwork and memory like a sieve) but i would be tempted to add another inch or so to the fronts for added ground clearance.

Also as for prices, Gaz, spax, avo and protec are all rebuildable and have good garrentees, so play them off each other mentioning club membership and they will all offer discounts.

Gaztech and protech both know RHoods so maybe able to offer advice on spring rates.

HTh

Mitch

Guest Phil Slater
measure open and closed lenghts

I spoke to the bloke at Dampertech a few weeks back and he told me to jack the car up to the ground clearance I wanted ( I believe it's supposed to be 7 inches under the chassis tube behind the lower wishbone) then measure between the centres of the mounting bolts. He would then use that measurement to make up the damper.

I havn't done it yet still wondering about what spring rating to go for given my green zeemeride (320 lbs) are nearly coil bound!!

Phil Slater

I bought a pair of Gaz shocks for the front at the Newark show. The chap on the stand (very helpful) said " Jack the car up till you get the ride height you want, measure the length from the top mounting to the bottom" 13 ins in my case. He recomended 1.5 in travel to closed and 1in to rebound(open). He also recomended 300lb springs (10in I think). The top and bottom bushes are 1/2in dia as standard but Gaz will supply 3/8 in as required for Robin Hood fittings. ( I drilled mine out to 1/2in). 150 units of the Queens currency then passed between us and I was the proud owner of a pair of proper adjustable coil overs.

The change is fantastic the ridehight is good, the bumpsteer has nearly gone, and I am just about to order 2 for the rear!

I've got green springs on the back and blue ones on the front. What are the ratings of these? They are Zeemers and I think the dampers are not damping enough... if you get my drift :wacko: But as springs <boing boing> they seem to be strong enough to keep the correct ride height without being fully compressed. I have a reasonable amount of travel front and back, so it's only the dampers I am concerned with.

Anyway, I wonder if the dampers in the zeemers can be modified to increase the damping effect? More viscous oil? Smaller diameter hole in the valve thingie? Am I talking nonesense?

Can I do this on the cheap??? Maybe using some lateral thought as is the Hoodie way?

Guest salty_monk

You can change to a heavier weight oil if the units can be dismantled. You'll need to find out what weight is in there first though...

Don't know if damper oil is sold for damper units specifically (I guess so) or you could use "fork oil" which you can buy at motorbike shops...

Guest Phil Slater

Derek

The change is fantastic the ridehight is good, the bumpsteer has nearly gone,

A couple of questions - What ride height have you gone for and how close (or not) to parallel withteh ground are your wishbones?

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest chris brown

Phil

I have changed to Gaz also and find the bump steer has nearly gone, also I don't go "farming" so often. The photo shows the position of wishbones.