Exmo Grounding

Guest jonnie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Get yourself an account at www.photobucket.com. Make sure it's public.

Post the pictures there & then copy the links underneath that start & paste them here.

In this way you can post a full sequence of pictures in one post.

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk

Here's my album for example... http://photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk

And if I copy the IMG tag (IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/SamPics004.jpg[/img) that looks like that with square brackets & shows beneath the picture you get:

SamPics004.jpg

Image007.jpg

200 BHP A Team Van 4.3l V6 - this ones mine. No brakes & jelly handling...

U-Haul.jpg

I drove this on a standard licence... about 30 ft long, 7 litres diesel or something... 6 mpg

ETC.

Images posted are just as an example of how to do it & have no reference to this thread so should be generally ignored!!

Hope that helps, Dan :)

exmosus1.jpgexmosus2.jpg

Sorry guys I'm making a right mess of getting the photos on here,I'm sure your all getting fed up with me messing about.I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your time and patience.Your all quite incredible.

Regards David

The top mount of the damper is in a very poor position, reducing it effectiveness by about 50% or worse and giving a marked falling rate on compression to almost zero at full bounce. I would make it a priority to move/fabricate a new mounting point. With some damping then taking place you will markedly improve the ride.

Nigel

Bearing in mind your pic shows the suspension on full droop the shocker must be near horizontal in full bounce! Should be about here but see some S7's to clarify.

That set up is just like mine and has been fine. As Nigel says the shockers should idealy be in a more upright position and some people have done away with the original set up and fitted coil overs in the position Nigel indicates but you will need to strenghen the top mounting point with some decent angle iron. No matter what you do you will not increase the clearance under the trailing arm. (unless you fit bigger wheels)

Barry.

There are lots of hoods with the same setup Jonnie, the estate springs are a bit stiffer and a bit longer I think. It might be worth changing the shocks if they are tired, they are std sierra and are #14 pounds (sorry this keyboard refuses to accept UK english settings!) a pair at halfords if they have any left. When the car is on the ground are the driveshafts sitting horizontally? What size wheels and tyres have you got?

Peter.

I have to say that I hope both Peter and Barry are stretching a point. I know the top mounting point varies from car to car, I'm not suggesting coilovers or any expensive solution but pointing out again the excessive falling rate shocking on bounce. Done my best with paint as usual but this is what I believe is happening. The top shock mount should be on a tangent to the centre of an arc representing full range of suspension travel of the bottom shock mount using the swing arm pivot point as a centre to give relatively consistent shock effect. Mount more rearward you get falling rate and vice versa. Exagerated pic below of what I believe is going on.

Nigel

Thanks again for all your help guys, I've taken all your idears on board and I will start with the cheapest solution and work my way up. Oh and by the way, dare I ask, what are coil overs?

Regards David

Guest Drewsus

Shock units as normally found on the front of a lot of cars. Basically the damper sit inside the spring (coil over damper I guess..) & they are bolted top & bottom.

Nigel, as ever, :) is right about the damper location, get it straight & you'll find it'll work better with less bounce. That picture wouldn't load for me yesterday but today it's clear to see that it could be the root of your problems.

A set of new oil dampers is about 25 quid from a good factors. Gas is 40. Obviously adjustable is better but more expensive, try Ebay...

Oops... typing on Drew's account here..... Dan (salty monk) :rolleyes: :D

Guest chris brown

Its not the cheapest option but while you are altering the back end I think the answer is to go for coilovers like niduncan has done if you dont do it now you will undoubtedly want to upgrade them in the not too distant future.

At the very least fit vertical shocks as Nigel (longboarder) advises.