Bashed Monocoque

Guest youngsterS3

Guest youngsterS3

hi guys,

need some advise please, after my big disaster today.

I went down Horsham way to meet some of the guys from the southernkitcar forum, the weather was getting good and I had a good run down to the meet point and I thought the rest of the day was going to be great.

Alas this was not to be for me and I reckon I put on a good show for the car behind, all be it a scary one.

Coming off the roundabout by the Whiteways Cafe, I went to doge the massive crater at the front of this pic, bounced in the foreground one and then lost it.. Up the kerb I went, back on the road and skidded across the road and slammed into the sign posts :(

the chap behind me posted these words:

"

a) this illustrates the danger of potholes and wet roads;

B) it's a good advert for Robin Hood - I'm amazed how well it stood up to be honest;

c) maybe someone can give some advice to Chris regarding making a claim with Adrian Flux and how to go about compensation due to pothole damage?

Basically Chis swerved to miss one pothole and hit another, bigger one. This sent him up the kerb sideways and across the road in front of me and the car coming the other way. His progess was interupted by a rather large road sign! Fortunately we were not going quick, having only just left a roundabout. Bit of an eye opener. The important thing is that Chris is ok (if bruised). After this we went for a cup of tea and neither me or Ben much fancied a quick run home so we pottered back.

"

Thanks to Dan (chap behind) for letting my situation ruin his run and for his support.

If anyone knows anywhere who would be able to advise if this is fixable would be great, not sure what flux are going to try and do with it... I'd like to get it back as long as it will still be safe. (being it took me 4 yrs to build!), but I can't see how.

Chris (thank full to have hit no one else, had no passenger in the car and to only have badly bruised ribs)

post-2457-1269201027_thumb.jpg

post-2457-1269201040_thumb.jpg

post-2457-1269201060_thumb.jpg

Yikes! that was a real bender. Thank god there was no passenger and your ok.

I imagine road care is somewhat like pavements the council keep records of when they were last checked. If the records fail to show that thay have been looked at in time or if there have been complaints not attended to, then your in for a claim.

Wishing you a speedt rebuild

Andi

Guest youngsterS3

after the policeman rang the council they were there within 20mins! the time it took for me to organise my recovery! road now patched up, apparently the recovery driver heard the council guys say it took 2 bags of asfault to fill it, i reckon that must be 50kg! the hole was about 10cm deep, I knew I had to miss it, now maybe wishing I hadn't tried!

afraid it is a write off, you cant repair a "tub", but maybe get you on the way to a zero, hope you have taken lots of details on the road, i damaged a tyre on my tin top last year, and after quite a wait they paid for new one, but as this will be going via, flux they should take this up with the council for you.

good look and glad your safe

Mitch

Guest The Modfather

OUCH!!!!!

Glad you are ok though mate. I have a mono and seeing your pic shows me how strong they are. Re your claim, there is a guy who advertises on the internet who solely deals in road surface claims for drivers. Sorry I don't know his name or company name, but he is there.

Hope you find him.

You have taken some good pictures there which will help, good luck and keep us updated.

If you find this chap, post his details for other's benefit if you can?

Regards

Guest robert elms

Sorry to hear about your off chris hope you are ok and can get the car repaired through compensation from who ever it is that is responsible . We al took some nastie roads today and am supprised you were the only casualty seeing how bad the pot holes were. Once again hope you are ok .

Rob

P S nice to put a face to the name .

Guest youngsterS3

I am feeling pretty sorry for myself today, I wasn't around last summer, so this was to be the first one with the car and I was looking forward to getting out and meeting you all at the shows and runs etc.. hey ho, I may just be calling on you all again for assistance with another build!

any more advances on a tub can't be fixed? any chance it can!?

post-2457-1269249343_thumb.jpg

post-2457-1269249351_thumb.jpg

post-2457-1269249361_thumb.jpg

thanks for all your words of support

Guest carl leonard
:( Sorry to hear about your off Chris. Glad to hear you are ok.

Was only reading about your build in CKC the other day.

Hope you have it all sorted soon.

Regards

Chris

Sorry to hear about the accident -

Dave Thompson (Dial Dave) had a the similar sort of accident in France with the same style car. As mentioned in an earlier post, once the mono chassis is bent, unfortunately it has to be replaced. DD managed to sort the last one from RHE some 3 years ago.

If I was you I'd get the money from the insurance, buy a Zero and use the parts from the existing car.

carl.

Guest carl leonard
Sorry to hear about the accident -

Dave Thompson (Dial Dave) had a the similar sort of accident in France with the same style car. As mentioned in an earlier post, once the mono chassis is bent, unfortunately it has to be replaced. DD managed to sort the last one from RHE some 3 years ago.

If I was you I'd get the money from the insurance, buy a Zero and use the parts from the existing car.

carl.

Forget to mention - (include Chris Brown's note above)!

Guest nick-c

Glad to hear you're ok Chris,

We've been up that way many times ourselves - makes you realise how bad the roads in Sussex have got over the winter! :o

Nick

Glad your ok, I'm afraid the tub is a write off, there are several bends to the steel to form the shape and return to form the strength in that area, to bash it out would weaken it which would then need plates welding across to strengthen. Welding to thin gauge causes distortion which then causes more problems etc.

Basically if you did get it bashed out and managed to re-aligne the rear sub frame it would look awful and probably drive badly.

Go for a payout and buy back (at a sensible price), strip the parts for a zero build and sell the stainless tub for scrap weight as prices are quite good at the minute.

Hope it works out for you and chin up, if enough people claim and win may be the councils will realize it cost less to fix the roads properly then to pay for damage caused from the pot holes.

Regards,

Jamie