Robinhood Exmo Mk2

Guest dazz

hi

i am looking at a robinhood exmo mk2 with a ford 2.8 v6 engine built in 1998.

so if anyone could help me with any info on what to look for ,it would be much appriciated.this will be my first robinhood and dont really know to much about what i should look for.

i have attached a pic of the car

thanks darren

post-12-1142617466.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darren, where abouts are you, there may be a helpful person nearby. As it is painted it is most likely a zintec (mild steel) one so should not have many cracks in it, although the V6 lump is very heavy. The front suspension could be a weak point, the top fixing of the mini mcpherson strut can crack, have a search on this site for information regarding this there was quite a bit about this last year. Is this being sold by a dealer or just in a big car park?

Peter

I can't really see in the picture but are you sure it is an Exmo? Looks like it could be a Series 1 or 2 to me.....

if you take some closer shots of the front suspension we will be able to tell or look Here

The advice will then differ a bit.

Andy

Definite Exmo. Few nice touches like stainless screen pillars, good seats. Probably VDO instruments (explains fuel level reading backwards). Tidy fairly well fitted hood. Overall tidy looking car with signs of pride in ownership/build.

Nigel

Download a frontend pic and play with contrast to see the flying buttresses.

Guest chris brown

Looks to me like a nice tidy car and the way it is being sold it dosnt look like they are expecting too much for it. Irecon it could be a realy good buy

If you get it Darren test it out by joining us on the Le Mans trip. :p :p ;)

Definately an Exmo.

Custom Chrome Exhaust (I do hope there 2 of them, 1 wouldn't manage a V6) nice Wheels, decent gauges, (Dash isn't to my liking, but....) full weather gear, it could be a bargain.

I agree with what the other 2 senior citizens say, providing you can get into the seat (not built for "Economy" sized persons) go for it!

thanks everyone going up to look tomorrow hopefully buying.

what is the difference between exmo and the others mentioned ?

hoping to fit into seat big jim not exactly thin myself .

there is twin exhaust one either side.

what do you recon it is worth big jim?

Main difference between new models and the exmo is that it is a model with a monocoque body, ie folded and welded sheet steel to form the body, so no tube or box section chassis and secondly a solid top mount mini mcpherson strut type front suspension using the sierra track control arm and anti roll bar to make a lower 'wishbone'. See here on NW Hoodies site for front suspension pics.

Value is what you are prepared to pay but its at a very good price at the moment.

Subject to inspection 2,500 would still be a very good price IMO.

Nigel

Where are you, Darren? May be some local Hoodies who know monocoque cars would be prepared to come along and view. I see the cars in Durham! Bit far for me.

Guest ScotMac

They are right, Andy...definitely an exmo. zoom in on the 2nd picture, and you can see the big huge macpherson strut carriers.

btw, it bothers me that that nw site lists the l/w as a 2003 car. sure, they thought of it then, and maybe even had a proto and some marketing feelers, but i don't know of a single person that received an actual l/w kit til 2005.

Value is what you are prepared to pay but its at a very good price at the moment.

Subject to inspection 2,500 would still be a very good price IMO.

I agree with Nigel, a couple of years ago, any Robin Hood that was on the road, and in reasonable build quiality would bring a minimum of £4k, but about 12 months ago the bottom fell out of the 2nd hand kitcar market, and you can knock £1000 off that now, so anything under £3k is good, then build quality & "extra's" play their part, of which you have on this car,including £450 worth of weather gear. But on the minus side is the fact that it's not S/S, that knocks a bit off, because this means that like any "normal" car, you'll need to keep on top of the paintwork, and nooks & crannies for rust.

Go buy it!

btw, it bothers me that that nw site lists the l/w as a 2003 car. sure, they thought of it then, and maybe even had a proto and some marketing feelers, but i don't know of a single person that received an actual l/w kit til 2005.

I agree, but if you also look, there are other models that never got past the prototype.

The lightweight was first shown in 2003 (at Stafford I think?) and it was a bag of *bleep*e! you needed short legs, and very long arms to be able to use the controls, the mountings for the suspension were paper thin, to be honest it wouldn't have lasted 6 months on the road. RHSC got their head round it and modified it to what it is today, but as you say, no-one got one until 2005, and there's not one on the road as yet.

I actually pointed out to Richard Stewart that it was "somewhat flimsy" his answer was "that it's a track car, not designed for the road, but to use on the track for 1 season then rebuild it" Granted it was before it was strengthened up, but only time (& mileage)will tell how strong it now is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Lightweight now, but it does need to prove itself over time, the only RHSC car that has proved to be up to the riggers of normal road use is the 2B (and that has a failing if not strengthened) the monocoque cars will all crack up in time (I know!)

why does it bother you?, Lw was indeed supposed to come on sale then but it was put back due to problems with build and the sale of the company.

The dates are when the kits were first displayed,or marketed by RH

Okay back to the Exmo.

look at the tops of the front buttruss, where the bolt come through look for stress cracks, also look for cracks in the four corners under the bonnet,have a look on Jims site, think its under the engine swop for the plae they can crack. this being a painted zintec chassi could be dificult to weld if work needed,

then genrally as any car, check condition of steering,tyres, suspention wiring.

give car a good looking over before going for a ride and make your judgement before, because when you have been for a ride it will all go out the window and you will just want it whatever points you picked up on.

HTH

Mitch

just been looking at nw hoodies site which shows the different models it is looking more like a mk 3 than an exmo

setting of to look in about an hour just a bit nervous of what to look for and price he wants £3000