Lightweight Sva

Guest ReadingTrev

Guest lightweightian

I have also spoken to Richard Hall today.... he told me that they have an SVA booked (not for the lightweight ) on thursday at nottingham and he was going to have a word with them while he was there...

I will give him a call back on thursday and ask him how he got on.

he said "I wouldnt worry about it too much just yet" :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

i will wait and see

cheers

ian

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been a solid supporter of Robin Hood but I get the impression that they are unable to comprehend Trevs cars rejection and the VOSA reaction. Trev has told us a VOSA circular about the lightweight has gone out. Maybe a fail on Thursday will get their attention.

Nigel

[Moderator's note : Slightly dodgy comment edited out - Let's keep it professional, please.]

Guest stu205

note additional, it wasnt Nigel's comment that was eddited but a good call by the mods

It seams RHSC just want to take to the people directly affected by this issue which in my mind is the best way of handling it, the more time they spend replying to emails and answering phonecalls to non lightweight owners the less time they have to sort the problem in the first place!

Guest salty_monk

The other comment was much worse... bonus of reading the board at weird times.. I see all the rubbish.. :lol:

[Moderators note - Calls were to correct tech line as advertised. ]

I agree that communication could/should be better even if Robin Hood were to say, this is our plan of action, this is what we are working towards, give us some time, thanks for your patience etc...

Dan :)

Guest locostv8
http://locostusa.com/forums/posting.php?mo...uote&p=7924[/url] ]First, thanks to locostv8@lyclos for alerting me top the posts. Our shop has been very busy and may not have picked up on the discussion.

The Lightweight is "new" and is very different from a conventional framed Locost. It is a TRUE aluminum monocoque design. Builders should keep this in mind when they are deciding what kind of kit to build. Many may be looking strictly at the cost. We see most of the market to be autocross related and have had many inquiries from bike engine builders, electric car builders and those that low weight is the primary goal. If the primary use is a sunday or daily driver, we certainly still recommend a full framed car. We do have to agree with some of the inspector's findings. In our own build, we have made changes to strengthen places that were questionable. We have added some steel in the rear suspension areas and added more boxing and bonded several layers of aluminum in others. All of the changes are easy to do. Tha additional weight is minimal.

In defense of Robin Hood, many kit car companies have come and gone. Robin Hood has come up with many good ideas and makes good quality pieces at a reasonable cost. Most kit car buyers make changes and upgrade on their own. Upgrading quality on parts makes them MUCH more expensive and would knock many out of being able to participate in this very rewarding hobby.

We have to agree that doing business and getting customer service from this UK company can be difficult. This is where my company comes to the rescue. We STOCK what we have found to be good quality and work for our needs here in the USA. We are using a combination of our own manufacturing and sourcing from the UK. We are offering kits and parts to appeal to the most cost conscience builder and those looking for quick results(checkbook builders)

Jim Chamberlain

COVELAND MOTORSPORTS, INC.

www.coveland.com

Guest locostv8
http://www.usa7s.com/forum/new_reply_form....;PN=1&TR=16[/url] ]I would like to reply to the posts about the Lightweight. I am the Distributor of RH products in the USA as well as manufacturing our own frames and pieces. We stock parts and kits to suit people working on their own frame to checkbook builders looking for a quicker build, and factory finished look.

The Lightweight is a new and very unique product in that it is a TRUE aluminum monocoque. This product is not for everyone. I see the primary markets to be those looking for the lightest autocrosser, bike engine builder, even electric powered cars. The daily driver still is best suited to a full frame car.

In our own build with the lightweight, we saw some areas to reinforce. We have added steel to the differential and suspension section, added box sections and have bonded several layers of aluminum in others. The added weight is minimal.

Our feeling is that most builders make changes to kits, upgrade components on their own. In RH defense, many kit car companies have come and gone, RH is still there. They have come up with many good ideas and make kits with good quality pieces at very reasonable prices. If quality was upgraded at the kit level, the pricing would dramatically go up. This would knock out many people from getting involved in a very enjoyable hobby.

Coveland STOCKS parts that we have found to be of good quality from the UK that make sense to OUR market and our builds.

Yes, dealing with UK companies can be difficult, and customer service is lacking by our standards. That's where we come to the rescue with a combination of UK sourcing and our own manufacturing.

We will be communicating with RH about the issues, and be sure our products are well suited to our market.

jim chamberlain

http://locostusa.com/forums/posting.php?mo...uote&p=7927[/url] ]I just had a phone conversation with Jim Chamberlain at COVELAND MOTORSPORTS, INC. and reinterated that the posts weren't directed at his organization rather at Robin Hood. The sole intent is a heads up to a POSSIBLE problem that Robin Hood needs to address. If they have the data they need to provide it to Trev and if they don't they need to get it.

Guest salty_monk
Salty monk

The call to richards mobile is the technical line for RHSC not a private one

Cheers Dale

Ha.... that's a different matter then, it seems like he has nothing to say, probably waiting for a "say so" from the boss... Strange to have a mobile as a technical line & I'm not surprised it'd off if he's on holiday!!

Convenient or at least good timing :lol:

Guest ScotMac
Ha.... that's a different matter then, it seems like he has nothing to say, probably waiting for a "say so" from the boss... Strange to have a mobile as a technical line & I'm not surprised it'd off if he's on holiday!!

Convenient or at least good timing :lol:

Dan is right. Having a cell as the technical support makes no sense. It is easy to setup a land line as the tech support line, and then route it to whereever/whoever is currently answering/working. Just another example of the customer service we all know and love!!! ;)

-sm

ROBIN HOOD SPORTS CARS

TEL: 01623 422286

FAX: 01623 422287

TECHNICAL: 07976 640841

EMAIL: sales@robinhoodsportscars.co.uk

All this is on the back page of there magazine