Lightweight

Guest gdc

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest warwick7735

Graham

Car looks good, only just got back from 3 weeks holiday so have only just seen your progress. But I noted looking at the rear of your car I cant see the line of rivets fastening the rear of the top & bottom diff box sections (the bits you had to bend back), have you done this?

Good luck, looks like you will be ready for the spring

Warwick

Guest ScotMac
Wow, Scot! :o Thanks for all the great info!!! I do agree on the engine similarities, although I think there is something to be said about the low center of gravity of the rotary. It may make a difference, especially when you consider the engine is probably 25-30% of total vehicle weight??? Is the Zetec all aluminum?

I also like the idea of carbueration because it keeps the wiring harness simple and light. More room for, say, an AIM data aquisition system! Yee haa :lol:

Graham, thanks for the response. I guess the biggest thing you could do to help me out would be to post some pics of the differential area on the LW chassis. The RX-7 diff housing is a kinda funky shape, and i need visual references to start brainstorming how to make it fit! So if you have or know of any pics out there, let me know. Thanks!

The "duratec" is all aluminum...i believe the zetec is partially aluminum. Yes, lower center of gravity is definitely a good thing. However, i really like the modern duratec engine (all aluminum, close to square (bore vs. stroke), cosworth was in on the design, ...). Take a look at the "engine screen saver" that was recently *re*posted on here...it is a VERY detailed video of the internals of a duratec engine.

BTW, i have emailed you some photos of the diff area.

-sm

hi warwick

the bottom line of rivets are hiding beneath the shiny trim ,

and the top line is behind the no plate and a couple of rivets on show.

cheers graham

ps any chance you could send me some photos of your rear .

no not your bum .

Guest keithscc362

[Hi Chaps,

Just a quick question did any of you rebuild your diff's before fitting i.e. new oil seal's ?

Mine seem's ok just bothered it leak's once it's in

Thanks

keith

[Hi Chaps,

Just a quick question did any of you rebuild your diff's before fitting i.e. new oil seal's ?

Mine seem's ok just bothered it leak's once it's in

Thanks

keith

Hi Keith,

Certainly did. Have a look at the pics and description of my diff here.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2624873070075316765vqMpnI

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2801820030075316765oGqpev

Pete :D

Guest erturbo

E. Hunt

Any relation to Mike? HAHAHA :D :blink: :o :mellow: Just kidding.

No, seriously, thanks for posting those pics. They were extremely helpful. I'm starting to think the sierra diff is about the only way to go, by the looks of the design back there! You guys are prob right.

Pete,

Great looking build, man! Your chronological build pictures are invaluable!!

BUMP for Pete's build/strenghtening pics!!!

Thanks for the help, guys!

-Emile

Warwick,

Nice looking car, dude! I think that is pretty much the color scheme I'll be choosing as well, with the red FRP. I will probably add in some black accents though, like wheels, etc...

I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we'd love to see more pics if you've got 'em!

-Emile

hi keith

re the diff ,i would say that at the very least it should be a recon unit,i was lucky and a mate who runs a transmission service company had a new diff in stock and sold it a a very good price.

as once in the diff is staying in !!!!!!!!!!

he looked at the ammoumt of room once installed and commented that if i had trouble with the diff i would have to sort it out my self .

as his gynocological skills are limmited to the wifes bits and bobs

regards graham

warwick

thanks for the pics of your rear end ,very nice .

i have checked and double checked and all rivets present and correct .

thanks for the observation

regards graham

Guest keithscc362

Thanks Chaps,

It's been a slow start to this project hopfully the new year will bring a 36 hour day.

Peter Im going to try and squeeze a 2.0 D.O.H.C. engine in mine built to take a bit of the old laughing gas.

But the way Ive been working this may be a while off.

Thanks again,

Keith