Chassis/engine Trouble

Guest mitch2b

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mitch2b

Hi, Thanks everyone for your quick reply. I already have the 2.0 DOHC with EFI engine and have placed it in the car to see what the fit was like.

I have noticed that the EFI is resting on the back cross bar for the brake servo. is it possible to raise the engine or do you need to cut the cross bar back?

Also what happens with the brake servo there is no room cause of the EFI.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Sam

(sorry mitch for taking your name i'll edit my user name to avoid confussion)

Guest mitch2b
Sam,

I made spacers to go under the engine mounts to raise it up about 1 1/2", gives you better sump clearance as well.

If you rebend the servo plate and fit it the other way around it gives you enough clearance to miss the EFI

Not my car but i have a pic

Cheers Les your a life saver

Sam

Guest MarkLarge
Does seem a lot of trouble for very little power gain. The DOHC engine has virtually no tuning info for it and Burton Performance just give it 1 paragraph, then never mention it again.

The DOHC engine still only has 8 valves and i have never seen aftermarket cams for it.

Good point re tuning BUT as a Robin Hood dohc version car builder may i say that as far as i am concerned the twin cam looks as sexy as hell in the car and not a bag of bits from 1970 slung together like the pinto does!!!! It produces a little more power than a comparable pinto , more torque and hydraulic tappets. I see it as all gain and if i want something faster i can always sell the car and buy a dax!!.

And if someone else tells me a dohc is only a pinto with a twin cam head may i refer them to page 11 of the Burton catalogue.

Of course i could be biased!!!???

If you get hold of an RS2000 engine and have a look at the head. Makes 150bhp as stock and it's the same engine. I don't know if it has three angle valve seats but if not then getting these cut and a mild skim of a few thou can't hurt. Then a little flowing with the die grinder to improve the ports. Make up a manifold for bike carbs, and a decent four branch for the exhaust. Fire it with a 3d ignition map by megajolt. Don't know if anyone makes improved cams for them but a call to piper or kent may unearth something. A lighter flywheel would help the engine spin up a bit quicker. Perhaps the wheel off an 1800 zetec would fit if redrilled? I don't know but if I had a dohc I would check out the possibilities.

Sound any better?

Nigel

Nigel,

great minds think alike

This is what I picked up last night

post-180-1164805395_thumb.jpg

Bought it off Ebay £172.20p :p

Engine/gearbox, efi and four branch exhaust manifold, all wiring inc. ecu, starter motor, alternator, had a job to fit it all in the car.

should be a straightish swap for mine bar for a few adjustments

Should be a fun winter project.

Still can't find a wiring diagam for this engine :(

Les

but true, had two in Granadas, both had to be done within months of me buying them, starts off with a wiff of antifreeze, then clouds of steam weeks later, but once done they should be okay for many a mile aslong had its done correctly, skim head etc

Mitch

as far as i am concerned the twin cam looks as sexy as hell in the car and not a bag of bits from 1970 slung together like the pinto does!!!!

My bag of bits

What a cheek i have spent more on braided hoses and silicon than most DOHC's are worth :o

P.S. its now in the car just waiting for Europa to get their act together with all the sensors and adaptors.