Xmas Number One

thespannerman

Isn't the xmas number one absolutely brilliant? Been a fan of RATM ever since my student days of jumping around and head banging. Seems to be alot of bad feelings about this on the net about the bad language and references to the band being devils etc. Not to offend anyone on here if all the complaining idiots sat down and listened to there back catalogue, they would realise that all their tracks are about human rights issues that they have campaigned for over the years. The procedes from the single are going to the Shelter charity not Simon Cowells pocket. Too many rappers today that kids listen to and Radio One push talk about gangsters, guns, gang culture, knifes, cop killing etc. To sell albums you have to been to prison, been shot (more times the better) and a member of your onterage on a murder charge. What message does this give to the kids of today? Just hope this use Of RATM for the campain doesn't distain my memories of a great band and time of my life. SPANNER

well sorry but i must be in your "complaining idiot section" You openly contradict yourself above by slating rap music for giving wrong messages to kids..... fine im with you on that one, but then you defend blatant foul language that RATM use on their track.

I worked in the music business on and off for 20 years, producing, remixing, dj'ing. foul language in music is not needed, should not be defended.

you use the words "proceeds from the single..." not proceeds... profits........ like it or not Ratm and epic (sony) will earn out of this track.

Some of the music I listen to contains foul language, but this language is part of the indie/ punk rock scene which is not main stream pop music (best as live gig). When played on radio stations the content is obviously censored as I believe it should be. The point I was making is that rapper lyrics are not sensored and actively pushed by main stream radio into youth culture. This web campain has not been sencored and people are getting there back up and missing the point of the exercise. Everyone has there own taste in music but for me its a change in the mockery of christmas number one.

For me it's not about the song itself. Could just as easily have been Bob Hope or Bob Marley. Simon Cowell has stolen and destroyed a Christmas Tradition, the annual competion for the Christmas number one spot. Who cares if it used to produce smash or trash. It was trad, it was quirky, it was often naff but it was our choice from a reasonably level playing field of commercial offerings.

Instead we have been manipulated into having the x factor single as the Number 1 since 2004. I don't doubt x factor will be back on top for christmas next year but we have shown it is possible to remember we do have a choice and don't have to accept this commercial manipulation.

Nigel

Guest The Modfather

The only winner was Sony, as they have both RATM and Joe signed to their label. Personally I couldn't see the point of the campaign and didn't download it, but nor did I vote on the X-Factor!

Guest mower man

Why o WHY do we have to talk about absolute ---- in my opinion Simon Cowbell and his no hoper's should be shown on MTV @3.30 in the morning !! Who actualy gives a ------ ---- about No1 any way .Only MY opinion if I've upset any one :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :crazy: 8P mower man

Guest erichetherington

What is Xfactor? I've found the simple way to deal with all the crap on TV.

Turn it off!

Never seen it or any soaps or celebrity leave them there to rot or come dancing. And I don't miss any of them I just feel sorry for thickoes who believe that sort of crap is either real or important, they should go and get a life in my opinion.

i am with nigel on this one .

it could have been any band or anyone the concerted effort was what did id .

all power to them .

cowel needs a lesson , i think he got it .

graham

I like the X factor, strictly come dancing, i'm a celebrity.... & dancing on ice............. :good:

BECAUSE, when the wife settles down to watch them....... i get to go down the garage. :p

What da ya think? lol.

Nick.

Guest The Modfather

As Nick has just said, sometimes you have to sit "as a family" and watch things like X-factor in order to earn brownie points to allow you to spends hours in the garage. I think X-factor should be a regular Saturday evening programme. Gets me time to play before and after!!!!!! :D :D :D