Monday Quiz

Peter Bell

Guest chris brown
You ought to have lived here in Lincoln with them based at RAF Waddington and I belive Scampton also.

Seeing them over head on a daily basis

Yes Ian they were at Scampton and I worked on them for a few years - Not my favourite AC but yes they do look good in the air - I was also involved in fitting the missiles to three (Waddington AC) for the Falklands (Black Buck) raids.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the Typhoon on an almost daily basis flying low and fast as its only based a few miles away at Conningsby, plus the Lancaster Spitfire and Hurricane plus a few other oldies from time to tme in the summer months and when flight testing or just the Lancaster doing fly pasts with their bomb doors open over the local memorials on set days as they have done for many years now.

I used to live right next to the base and loved the sound and sight of the ww2 planes flying around

Guest jetskijase

just finishing the vukcan 607 book about the falklands, awesome read!! 14 victors to fuel one vulcan to get to stanley and back!!!! victors can take 43 tonnes of fuel!!!! just some figures that amazed me!!!

Sorry didn't mean to start a fight! and I suppose I should have said the Avro 698 but it was 11 years I think! It was just the speed of change over that time was quite amazing. The 707 which was a single engine development delta plane flew in 1947. Well according to my 1952 observers book, perhaps I will have to buy a new one :rolleyes:

Guest The Modfather

See what you started Pete! Should really have been more specific matey :D :D :D

I first was intrested in WWII aircraft obviously when Grandad was in the Lancs and Blenheims. I never really spoke much to him, I was only 7 and he was a miserable bleeder. But, I always envied him and what he done. I then done about 4 or show and tells (equivelent) at school as I grew up, and it was always on the Lancaster, Blenheim (fast light bomber/fighter) and the V range bombers.

I have just spent the last few hours reading back over the history and deployment of these aircraft. It really is amazing to read what they were involved in.

It is also unbelieveable the short time span is between the two, although we did have the Gloster Meteor and the De Havilland Vampire which were jets, at the end of WWII, so it wasn't really, er, rocket science, to have a jet like the Vulcan within that time span. The technology was there but just not needed, not until the threat of the Cold War.

Well that is one Wednesday trip I am definitely going to do this year, so many thanks for letting us know about that. I was under the wing tip of the BBMF lanc at BAe Broughton in the late 70s when they started it up for it's display (and 10' behind spit and hurricane later), and I still get goosebumps thinking about it now. I SO regret not having a camera with me that day. Still not my favorite aircraft of that era, that would be the mossie. Suprising how many hoodies have an interest in this stuff! Brian

Love the Vulcan but my Favourite plane moment was at the last BTCC meeting of the season at Donny a few years ago.

They had a Tornado doing some silliness and his party piece was to pull a near stall climb from directly above the Donington Park Supporters Hut which I was in at the time. The power from those engines was awesome and when I enquired with the navigator later that night just what G he was pulling, he said he didn't know because they didn't have antiG suits on and he was out cold. Apparently the Pilot was a local lad and may have been a bit more exuberant than normal during the display :D

My internal organs are still vibrating from that day :)

You could feel the vibration go right through your body, and it would literally throw you off the post.

I suggest a day at Santa Pod when the top fuellers are running for a similar thrill.

Its a hoot standing behind any newbies....they end up in your lap!!

Bob

A10 tankbuster for the weird noise & amazing low level aerobatics...

B1B for sheer scare factor on an unannounced low pass, wings swept back at MACH .97...

Tornado for outright noise...

Tucano for sound, grace & elegance...

but definitely the Vulcan for "I dont' believe it can do that" amazement

but then again the SR71, the U2, the first display flight of the F117 & the B2 were all great.

Roll on the summer shows again..almost a pity the cold war is over.

Quick story on the Mosquito. My old man was an aircraft fitter in WW2 & got sent to many temporary airfields in France. He once got a weekend pass, but could get any transport back to Biggin.

A mossy was heading back, but already had a pilot & navigator on board, so he bummed a lift back strapped into the bomb bay :mellow: ...cant see a mossy flying now without imagining the terrified look on his face when it landed.

A friend of mine flew a Vulcan on a flypast ...some celebration at Rolls Royce Derby years ago, when they were still active, and by coincidence on the same date at his old school they were having a school fete 8 miles away and 1/4mile from me.

He did fly past at low level on his way back to Scampton I think, but he could not resist a climb away on full power

He shatted a few windows and there were calls to the police,

He did get suspended for a short period and said he waited until he left a built up area until climbing away from his RR fypast

Paul

Guest The Modfather

There is a Vulcan at Southend airport, Essex. It has sat for years but is flyable, apparently. I used to drive past it everyday, and everyday I looked forward to seeing it, and was always amazed by it's majestic shape and size. A truly awesome bird that thankfully never got used for it's intended role.

Guest jetskijase
the last flying vulcan is now just 4 up miles the road from us have seen it flying a few times when it has gone out to do displays :D :D :D :D

Phil,, wheres that then??