Build Woes

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

has any one got to the stage in their build where you are nearly done but you still feel so far away, i keep looking at the car and thinking what a mess, theres wires hanging all over the place, loads of jobs still needing to be done/finished and then you just dont know where to start to get it finished. and then going out every night in the bloody cold trying to get something done and you end up just looking at the car for an hour wondering what to bloody do! haha pretty demoralising

Get some heat into the workshop,then you can ponder in comfort,then start at the front & complete everything slice by slice front to back; my build is a bit bogged down at present 'cause I can see a thousand things to do & not sure/made mistakes on which way is forward.

Guest ethanicus

I know how you feel. All the big jobs are done, now I’m doing lots of little things. The problem is I spend 12hours on the car and it doesn’t look any different. Spent hours over the weekend doing a action list, broken down Front, Middle and Back.

Set up a white board or notice board.

Write down everything left to do.

Start each job & finish it before starting ANYTHING else.

Cross off each completed job and leave it on the list

so you can see how far youve come.

Its a reminder that you have got a lot done.

Summers approaching fast!!!

Hi,I don't know where you are but you are not the first to feel frustrated.Two things that always come up is get some other Hoodies round to give support,and make a list of jobs to finish the car and put a sequence together.

Cheers Mike

Guest phil howard

We should add a new section "Counselling Required".

I fitted a flat screen Television and Central Heating.................as I knew I would be slow.

I set a schedule of 10 months but I have alraedy moved it to 12 months...........and realistically it will be 18 months by which time I will have missed the Scottish summer (we only get 1 or 2 days in July) .

Ho hum

I have been looking at the metal from which I will make the radiator support brackets for about 6 weeks now and STILL haven't made the blessed things up. I always end up doing something easier! Don't worry, as suggested use a whiteboard/notepad and make a list and just be methodical, yuo'll get there in the end.

Guest boggybogstar

I reckon the first thing to do when your in the 'nearly finished' mode is to book the IVA, this could take a month or so to come through and then at least you'll have a target.

Isnt there a 'get prepared for the IVA' section in the Zero manual ;) ?

Read this topic this morning and thought I was on my own. It gave me the kick start I needed. Not touched the car for six months

Sorted out the intercooler mounting today which has allowed the nose cone to sit straight.

Tomorrow I will look at remounting the header tank which I have never been happy with. All these jobs which I did wrong the first time round really knocked my duck off so I gave up, but up and fighting now, well nearly.

Jez

Tony's got a good point. There's nothing like a target date to focus the mind and loosen the sphincter :D

Also, take out shares in Mr Kiplin and PG Tips before begging a home visit. You will find the boys very useful in helping you get a definate list of things to do.

Without the help of the local hoodies and having to get it finished before the IVA change, I would have never got mine finished.

The last thisng is "does it look right"?

If you think it looks messy, chances are the examiner will also so tidy is the way to go.

Good luck, it's worth it.

Spent three and a half years on my build, been on the road for nearly a year still with a plywood and gaff tape interior. When your building you seem to be throwing more and more money at it and get nowhere. Can be very demoralising and you feel like it will never make it onto the road at all. But when you have a new log book in your hand the pressure on your shoulders is lifted. As for deadlines my SVA came through quick with a big list left and only a week to go. Spent all day Saturday in the garage. Back in at 8am on Sunday, came out of garage at 5:30am on Monday! Quick shower, grabed all my paper work on the road for 6:50am. Arrived for 8:00am test 5 mins late and passed SVA first time! Keep going it'll be worth it.