Will This Steering Wheel Pass Iva

peter_m7uk

Hi,

I have a Mountney steering wheel and Sierra boss adaptor, as supplied by Robin Hood (see pic below). I'm just wondering if this will fail IVA on sharp edges?? It's nicely padded around the rim and for part of the spokes, but the centre is metal and hard plastic... I need to know if it will pass, as I'm currently deciding on the final position of the steering column on my Lightweight, so it would have to be set to match the wheel.

I did think it could be possible to put a different wheel on for the IVA and change back to the Mountney one later, but I'm not sure what to use. I still have the old Sierra one, but it's enormous and I don't know if I could actually get into the car with that fitted!! I suppose I could raise the steering column, but then it would be far too high for the Mountney wheel, and there's no easy way to adjust the height once everything is set up on the complete car. I don't want to get a removable steering wheel either, if I can help it, so if my current wheel will fail, could anyone suggest A) how to pass the test with the Mountney wheel or B ) a small wheel to put on in its place for the IVA test??

Cheers,

Pete :D

post-1247-1266154887_thumb.jpg

Guest gixerboy600
Hi,

I have a Mountney steering wheel and Sierra boss adaptor, as supplied by Robin Hood (see pic below). I'm just wondering if this will fail IVA on sharp edges?? It's nicely padded around the rim and for part of the spokes, but the centre is metal and hard plastic... I need to know if it will pass, as I'm currently deciding on the final position of the steering column on my Lightweight, so it would have to be set to match the wheel.

I did think it could be possible to put a different wheel on for the IVA and change back to the Mountney one later, but I'm not sure what to use. I still have the old Sierra one, but it's enormous and I don't know if I could actually get into the car with that fitted!! I suppose I could raise the steering column, but then it would be far too high for the Mountney wheel, and there's no easy way to adjust the height once everything is set up on the complete car. I don't want to get a removable steering wheel either, if I can help it, so if my current wheel will fail, could anyone suggest A) how to pass the test with the Mountney wheel or B ) a small wheel to put on in its place for the IVA test??

Cheers,

Pete :D

RH have a clip on pad which may help?????

Worth asking them if you can borrow it?

Cheers

John

RH have a clip on pad which may help?????

Worth asking them if you can borrow it?

Cheers

John

Thanks for the tip, John. :good: Do you know if it's the sort of thing someone could easily make on their own to a good enough standard? Anyone got a picture of such a pad? I've heard of people using duck tape and foam in the past, but I think they clamped down on that a bit now, as it doesn't look permanent? I'm still some way from finishing, so not up to speed on the whole IVA side of things :rolleyes: I suppose the gist of my post was: Can I go ahead with permanently fixing the steering column for the Mountney wheel, based on the assumption that it's straightforward to get it through the test?? Anyone had SVA/IVA hassle with this?

Cheers,

Pete B)

Hi, I made my own steering wheel pad. I used some left over dash vinyl and foam (camping mat)

Passed SVA ok, but inspector didn't really like that it was held on by cable straps. Maybe press studs or elastic might be better.

Nick

yes you can fit it permanent. you can use a piece of foam pad and cover it with a vinyl sheet, i think mine was just taped on for the test (the sheet stretched round the metal).

make it look as tho it'll be permanent, i.e. so its not easily pulled off! this applies to all 'sharp' edges as they'll sometimes check if its removable thus deemed temparory just for the test

The previous idea of making your own sounds like a good idea, if it needs to look more perminant just sew it on, doesn't really matter how bad your stitching is if you are going to take it off afterwards and will look as though you mean it to stay. Just wrap the vinyl and foam around the spoke and sew at the back.

hth

Guest Noddy006

Hi Pete

I have the same steering wheel in my Sub K and this passed as standard in IVA last October at Leighton BUzzard. Can't be sure if I was lucky but why does it have to be padded any more? Might be worth talking to a good supplier or GBS as they ought to know. HTH

Regards

Ian H.

Mine is a Mountney and went straight through SVA nearly a year ago with no drama but I have heard of some people having problems.

Depends what sort of examiner you have.

There are some VOSA boys on here that might be able to clarify things.

Guest peter2b2002

I had a Mountney on my 2b @Leighton Buzzard in 2002 and used the Mountney pad glued to the centre of the steering wheel, only problem it was a very hot day and the glue melted and the pad fell off ,so the SVA chap used a couple of tie wraps to hold it on (what a nice man) and it passed :D

I also lent it to some one else but I think it has run off with Derec's as i haven't seen it for a couple of years

peter2b

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tommy2wheeler

i have one, it failed first time because i had hex bolts holding it on which are "too sharp", i put dome headed bolts on and now its fine :)