Cooling Probs

Guest scrabster

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thought --my problem..

Have you got the right sender for the guage?

The Nissan sender attached to a telemetrix guage -- read 10-15 degrees over. I was panicing that everything was about to explode.

? hold onto the top hose and feel when the thermostat opens --( 82-85 degs) ?

What temp does your electric fan cut in ?

All sorted now.

Graham B

• 4 months later...

I have a super spec with Rover t series engine With NO heater . For 3 years had heating probs, Finaly Found that the 12mm pipe |(over the exhaust) was a return feed for a heater With it conected at the thermastat and at the rear of the engine was causing an air lock/flow problem blanking both ends and fitting kenlow thermostat has almost totaly solved the prob.

• 2 months later...
Guest joni

Its been a while since I posted this, thought I had the problem solved but as I'm not just about running the engine in and putting it under a bit more load, and maybe as the temperature is heating up generally as we get towards 'summer' it's running a bit hot again.

As this is happening when going at speed as well as idling I think I need a different rad, the one that comes in the kit is pretty naff I think.

My question is- what to go for, the coolman seems an obvious choice, does anyone know if this is a 'plug and play' direct swap for the one that comes in the kit? I don't want to miss out on good weather messing around with fitting a rad. If not what else is a good choice?

Finally, this might be a long shot but does anyone have a coolamn or similar they are looking to sell? Will post in wanted as well.

Cheers, Jon

Guest mower man

Google Dave Andrews site lots of tips on cooling and other very useful subjects , it was possible to accses thro the NW site but the last time I tried I couldn't hookup HTH mower man[mick] :good:

Guest joni

Dave Andrews site looks like how mine is set up. I'm suprised that the polo rad has enough cooling power as its designed for a 1.4 engine or similar size? is the inlet/ outlet in same position as the naff one that comes in the kit, and same OD on hose tails?

Guest mower man

Aluminium radiators are far more efficient than orig copper ones ,I had doubts about this but found it's quite abig difference,look how small w/cooled bike engines are they cool 1300cc engines pushing out phenominal bhp with tiny radiators .An alloy rad would be a must if I rebuilt my car or built a new one

HTH mower man :good:

Guest joni

That sounds like it could be good for £45... are the inlet and outlet in the same positions as the old one that comes in the kit and are they the same hose tail OD? and is the rad itself similar overall dimensions?

Guest scrabster

evening all, just an update with what ive done,sourced an aluminium rad from a jap tractor that sits nice and upright.ally plates that i bent to make sure all the air flows through the rad with a spit suck bottle behind the cowling.all seems ok (toutch wood), at motorway speeds the temp sits at about 88-90 degrees. it still spits out the carbs and pops on the over run,so before the stoneleigh i decided to lag the inlet manifold tubes and it was noticeibly better with less popping, so im quite happy with things at the moment.my next thoughts are to make an inlet spacer from bakalite to stop some more heat transfer.

regards,jess.

Guest joni

sounds good glad you got it sorted, i'm going to try some more cowling at the weekend.

not had any luck with kit spares, no one answering the phone, i take it they are still trading?