Engine Flapping In The Breeze

Grim

Howdy!

As is often the way, solving one problem leads to the discovery of another.

I have clunked my sump a few times so i was getting around to fixing myself a new one, when a lunchtime jaunt to the country turned it into an urgent need. Not having the facilities / space / inclination to take my engine out, i took my old sump off and fitted the new one whilst the engine was in place.

Oh hang on, that bit of gasket isn't right. Removed and refitted. Again.

Thinking i was clever, i had made myself some spacers out of some 10mm stainless plate i had lying about to increase the clearance. Whilst squeezing these into place, i noticed that the plates that the engine mounts connect to seemed to be moving. No, not just moving, practically flapping in the breeze. The top weld on the plate had completely failed (and worryingly, i have no idea how long ago).

I'm assuming this is going to be an engine out job (thus negating the effort of changing the sump in-situ).

So, getting to the point of my post, has anyone got any photos of the 2b chassis around the engine mounting points? I would like to redesign/overengineer these when fixing it, so that this isn't going to happen again.

Andy

No pics at the moment, i was too busy throwing my dummy out of the pram. I saw it, screamed and dropped everything.

It's a 2mm plate with a bend in it, welded at the bottom to a rail, and a short weld to another bit of tube at the top.

It's a slimey pillock chassis by the way. Will try and sort out some pics tomorrow.

I've got 43k on the clock, in case any of you low-milers were getting worried.

I think that if i jack up the engine, remove the inlet manifold and passenger side engine mount, i might be able to fix this with out removing the engine! That is, if the driver's side is ok. I'm getting MK Martin to take a look next week (busy this weekend).

This will do for a quick fix until the engine really has to come out, unless i get a really good idea about changing the plate!

Hi Mate,

Currently doing my sump as well, and took the engine out. As luck has it the engine is still out and mine is also the Slidding pillocks so should be very similar to yours :good: . looks like you have been lucky to catch it before anything catostrophic... :pardon:

Photos below, hope they help. PM me if you need anymore piccies :friends:

post-2721-0-51679100-1297961754_thumb.jpgpost-2721-0-69162900-1297961765_thumb.jpg

Thanks Terry. If it's not too late, could you grab a pic of the top weld?

I've had a proper look now, and if anything the driver's side one is in worse nick. The plate is U shaped and the weld has failed at the top too. I assume this is due to being under compressive loading and *bleep* design.

The positive side is that i think it is likely that the plates failed a long time ago. In recent years there has been a knock in the transmission which i had attributed to the gearbox (which makes other undesirable noises), but it is likely that the engine mounting point is the cause.

It is clearly an engine out job. My thoughts at the moment are to remove the existing plates entirely and to replace it with something structural, such as box section, but i have no specific design in mind at the moment.

Thanks all, i think i'm getting some vertical plates welded in place to stiffen and straighten the existing structure, which connect to both the plate and the chassis tubes. Plus it does mean i don't have to take the engine out, which helps!

Will be getting it done early next week hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Andy i changed mine whilst the engine was in bit of a fiddle but you do need to raise the engine a bit to give you some working space. As graham says he has the kit (my engine hoist) if you need to gain that extra bit of room.

phil