Leak On Cooling System

fry61

In the last few hundred miles the heater matrix has started to weep,so before the run to Exeter it was linked out of the system & all is fine no more leak; but no heater either.

Need to know if its a long term fix to use a "rad sealer" type gunge (& which one) or is this only a temp solution beloved by back street garages to shift a problem.

Also if there is a good fix will it reduce the efficiency of the cooling system in general; thanks for all replies.

Guest loopyonion

A few year ago, i used a sealer that was like an sodium sillicate with metal flakes in it, looked a graphite colour. It reacts with air when it escapes the cooling system, and seals the gap. It worked very well on a cylinder head weep on an 1800cc Zetec. Originally as a temp measure, but held for years!

I got it from a motor factors, but the name escapes me. Was about £10 for the tub.

Sorry i cant be any more help! but this sounds similar http://www.barsproducts.com/1100.htm,

normally i wouldn't question cheap fix vs proper fix, but i used radweld to cure a leaky core plug which stopped the leak some years ago now. Still holding. Made the coolant look unplesant!

Guest mower man

Barrs Leaks was the only one I trusted for any length of time ,it was reputably used by the US navy on nuclear subs ! ,used it for daily runners and works vans allways did the trick with no probs , but is like poo from the wooden horse to buy now ,only real cure is replacement pref with new or reconned matrix----- mower man :good:

I ask for solutions !! other than replacement 'cause the matrix is boxed in down on top of the bell housing & Florin is taxed all year round; this Southern Softie likes warm tootsies on a crisp winter's day Plus a clear screen aids driving safety. Will try to find & use Bars leaks & report on results,thanks for your posts.

A couple of years ago I had the head off my engine to do some cleaning up of the ports. The head wasn't in best condition around the water ways but I thought it didn't leak before and with a new head gasket it should be ok, plus it was very close to the Stoneleigh show. Took it easy going up to Stoneleigh without problems but on the way back I was giving it a bit more welly and the temp started rise into the red, had to pull off the motorway to get some water as my header tank was overflowing. After topping up i took it real steady the rest of the way home. Thought I'd have to take the head back off and get it skimmed but someone told me to use some K-Seal made by kalimex so i thought it was worth a try, think it cost about £9 from a motor factors. Haven't had a problem since including some track days giving it plenty of welly. I can highly recommend it.

Les

i'll have a look for the name but i used a sachet of stuff to fix rads in trucks/tractors. was ridiculously cheap ~ £1 and stopped the leak well quick, grey flakes of something. i put it in an old motorbike with a massive crack in the water jacket and it stopped that leaking. quite amazing.

i have used others in the past and i have actually clogged the heater matrix!! used a rad flush to clear it out again.

its a choice i guess i try to avoid it now but if needs must. they make it for a reason!

:o Bob this is unlike you cutting corners!!! :shok: :shok:

This to me is a grey area some swear by rad sealers others don't

I for one don't, wouldn't give it garage space, so its a strip out and renew vote from me

You know its right ;)