Pinto Sump Change

Guest Mr_Frosty

Guest Mr_Frosty

Just a quick one.

I have a series 3A with 2.0 pinto with standard sump.

Just wanting to know is there any way of changing it for a shortened one without taking the engine out?

Any info would be very helpful thanks.

Hi,

I tried doing this on my exmo without any joy, however at the time I didn't spend too much effort figuring out a method as I knew I'd be taking the engine out for a rebuild anyway.

To date, my engine has been in and out of the car quite a few time and thinking about your question.........a sump change without taking the engine out should be possible..........

The best chance of success is to first take all bolts out of your sump, leaving 1 or 2 bolts remaining. Then unbolt your engine mounts and also your exhaust manifold. Then jack the engine up (on the bell housing) as far as high as it will go. Finally remove the remaining 1 or 2 bolts and then your sump should come free.

The critcal part is making sure you can jack the engine high enough so that the sump clears the engine bay floor, but also clears the internals of the engine (crank bearings, big ends etc...)

I hope this give a bit of inspiration........good luck

I am having my 3a sump sorted by a garage - when discussing the job the mechanic had no hesitation in saying he would be removing the engine - saying in the long run it was the most efficient way of doing the job. I am unashamedly unqualified to know if this is right or not but just thought it might be helpful.

Guest mower man

Hi it can be done it,s a bit of a fiddle but doable with patience ,I ve done it a couple of times and it's far less involved than pulling the lump.I did 'nt even have to slacken of the mounts altho it may make quite a lot of difference to loosen them and gently lift with a jack under the bell hsg ,starter needs removing but otherwise sraight forward .Did you get the photos re breather system hth mowerman

Sorry, lads have to disagree, although mine was a 2b. Soooooooooooooooo much easier to remove the lump and sort.

Although the amount of times I had the engine out begining of the year, was getting like an F1 pit crew for speed. Managed to get the engine out in less than an Hour, back in even quicker! :blink:

Not sure on the 3A how much room you have to play with, but if its anything like the 2B, remove the lump. Will save so much cussing, blood and tears.... :vava:

HTH

if you get 2 bits of 10mm studding, you can loosen the engine mounts, jack the engine up, and use the studding in place of the mounts so you can get the jack out of the way

done this several times on a 2b, cant see it being any harder on a mono

Guest Mr_Frosty

Ah mint cheers for that. Will give it ago with the engine in just jacking it up like you've said.

I'm all right with a spanner and fiddly things working on cars all day and that.

Something to do over winter I guess. Just have to find some good points to put some axel stands under it.

Yes thanks a lot mowerman what you said has made me want to do it and looking at the dents in the sump now don't think it'll be long before I hit something. one more thing love what you've done with the screen wash, oil catch and coolant. Looks very smart.

Guest mower man

Thanks for that praise ! I 'm suprised you haven't goosed it already ,what clearance have you under the sump ? I run with about 4.5 " uder the sump and 5" under the diff ,but it some times is a little close ! hope you get it done .I hope to be back on the road in April , some mods to do but I have just had my 2nd knee replacement so bend to work on the car is a bit difficult. I'll have aride up to see you perhaps mower man [ mick]

Guest Mr_Frosty

A quick guess at the gap is about 2" not a lot at all. Not really looked at diff clearance didn't think that would be an issue. I've not had the car long and it's only done 1300 miles or something so many of my own little touches to come. I've heard it scrape a few times worried me a little definitely couldn't park her on some grass at the beach one time though. Unhappy face.

Mine will be sorned the end of this month and hopefully back on in march or when the good weather comes back. so more than enough time.

Check your oil filler to bonnet clearance. You may be able to raise the engine mounts, shims/spacers and gain some quick extra clearance. Worth doing in any seven even with a short sump. You can never have too much sump clearance.

With the monocoques changing the sump in situ is very difficult as the engine bay floor virtually prevents it. I cut away some of the floor when the engine was out and did once change the sump through the hole but it was severe. Also very difficult to cut away the floor with the engine in. Pound to a penny you have to remove the lump.

Nigel