Fuel Consumption

Guest Essexmotorsport

Guest Essexmotorsport

Guys,

Ive just purchased another robin hood, brining our total to four, three unbuilt and one fully built and on the road.

Wondering if anyone can help at all. I filled up with petrol, then approximately 80 miles later, empty. I cant remember how many litres of petrol was put in the tank but its the standard hood tank. Does this milage sound about right.

I know the engine isn't set up correctly and is on the list of things to do, but i think there may be a fuel leak, thats the main reason for asking this question. The car smells heavily of fuel even though its not running. At current it has a digital fuel gauge, this failed to tell me that i was out of petrol, so there i was, out of fuel at the side of the road :help:

This will soon be changed to a stand fuel gauge!!!

To sum up, 80 miles, one tank, not driven hard, is that about right?

Cheers

Sam

Usual leak suspect is where the sender fits into the tank, check that area and if you do a search on here you will find an assortment of cures. Secondly how much fuel did you put in? How much you can fill it depends on how far the tank filler tube has been inserted in the tank if it is in a longish way then you can't fit a lot in. I tend to fill mine every 100 miles it can do about 125 but I get worried!

Guest Ian & Carole

On a steady run we can get 35+ giving us a range of around 250, can do Lincoln to Dover on a tank full, even managed to do that towing the trailer tent.

Toyota 4age engine fed by twin 40's.

If I go out alone on the twisties then high teens low twenties.

I had mine originally set up on 38 DGAS and had them set up/ tuned on a rolling road. Only had a 20 litre tank and was constantly stopping at a garage every 60-80 miles (depending how I drove her) Just ask any of the S Yorks lads who spent many an hour at the filling station whilst I topped up on a run...!. Went to Bike carbs and reach 100-120 miles per tank.

So if your engine/ carb set up is not good and you have the alloy 20 litre tank, 80 miles is probably about right. I learnt the hard way and ended up carrying a 5 litre petrol can in the boot....

To be on the safe side, check your fuel lines for any signs of leakage!! As Peter says they do tend to leak around the sender, however this only is usually a problem when tank has been brimmed...

HTH

I still get 30 mpg on a cruise. Single figures on a track day. One problem with the filler hose is it can stick too far into the tank causing air locks making the top of the tank unusable like in the pic below. Remove filler neck having carefully marked the top of the tank position, drill a couple of 5mm holes about 20mm down from the mark so they will definitely be inside the tank and refit. Suddenly your tank will take an extra gallon or more.

I think your engine needs a little TLC to start with to check cam and ignition timing, plugs dizzy leads etc and then a look at the carb set-up to make sure it isn't running rich.

Nigel

post-21-0-60605700-1327618601_thumb.jpg

Guest Essexmotorsport

It's a standard 2.0l pinto at the minute. It needs a good service and I have various parts to fit then set the engine up correctly.

I imagine it is the 20l tank, just trying to remember how much petrol I managed to fit in the tank. Maybe 80 miles was about right then, jerry can full with petrol now stored in the boot, fuel gauge not trusted. I think I have established there is no fuel leak also.

Now the engine doesn't run correctly, when I accelerate it judders a hell of a lot and won't really accelerate past 4,000 rpm, it seems to be a fuelling issue, will have to get my mechanics to check :(

Edited by Essexmotorsport

Guest Alan_builder

its the standard hood tank. :help:

Sam

Hi Sam,

With 4 of the delves, and a look, you may see there is no such thing as a standard tank!

You will find the Sierra 80 Ltr?, 40 Ltr & 20 Ltr in SS, Aluminum tanks made to order and home built like one of mine 60 Ltr, plastic tanks made to all volumes. So check the volume first. Carbed engines seem to give lower fuel consumption.

Leaks by the sound, The SS ones can leak around the filler, fuel gauge and where the ends are welded on as well as along the seam end to end, yes the welding is a bit suspect.

Guest paulrrh2b

Yep, check the capacity first.

However mine has the stainless tank and developed a crack around the filler neck. This resulted with a very strong smell of petrol but no visible leak. Eventually I found the problem and with the help of some liquid metal, no more leak.

I have a 2.1l Pinto with twin Dellortos and I get around 25 mpg, 15 - 20 if I give it the beans

Guest Alan_builder

******* I get around 25 mpg, 15 - 20 if I give it the beans

Just a tick, hold on, what's this IF, you have a fast sports car, can't remember when I last saw one not being fed on beans 8)