Hid Xenon Headlights - Is It Possible?

sj-bradley

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted here, so bear with me please :)

Is it possible to change the headlights from the ones supplied by GBS and to fit HID Xenon instead?

(Too late to change now before the IVA - which is Tuesday 31 Jan - so wish me luck !)

Thanks,

Simon.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Simon,

First good luck for Tuesday.

HID. There was a post on her just the other day which said as of January well 2012 for the MOT you need automatic leveling and washers, I was not sure if that means wipers or if washer jets will do.

There was another item which said HID had to be an original manufacturer part to stop the back street updaters where the other vehicle is blinded.

So best check the MOT change (it was one of out MOT testers I think) and the new lighting regulations.

Will you really drive often enough in dark lanes to warrant the cost? It is a summer car?

Guest Alan_builder

"Summer car? Pah! Far more fun in the crisp winter months"

"Who says its a Summer car??..... Went to Skegness in mine today"

Yes driving on a winters day is great in the sun but how often do you drive for hours on end at night in the winter?

So how many hours night driving was done today?

I bet in the winter not many drive for more than 2 hrs, I have done that to the Exeter Kit car show on the A30, at -3 degrees without wind chill 21: to 23:00, did stop for a coffee to warm up. Winter drives to the Hoodie meet 3/4 hour each way.

Then again if its not a summer car why do so many take their car off the road in the winter when its dark for longest and you can use theose expensive lights.

Just my thoughts

Guest Alan_builder

Summer car? Pah! Far more fun in the crisp winter months :)

PS Simon, good luck for tuesday, pop along on Weds to the local meet and say hello! Tintops are welcome as well as kits :)

So what will you be driving?

Mines my daily driver. Day and night. Regular trips back from Dads in the dark. Hood up and heater on.

First check is are you using good lights units/reflectors/glass or the old RH units. Get some after-market ones from someone like SVC if you are. A good reflector and beam pattern can make a big difference. If still not bright enough you can still get 100/80watt or 80/60w rally/sport bulbs in H4 and H7 on ebay which are not type/E approved and therefore illegal for road use but who will ever know if used with a well designed unit. Used with a bad unit you will get glare, scatter and annoy on-coming drivers. Iv'e had some in camper for 20 years. Still going strong.

HID is pretty much a non starter IMO.

Nigel

I have just bought a polo classic (rebadged cordoba) so I can get the Hood into the garage for new engine etc so will be driving a tin top for a few weeks. Will keep insurance and tax going.

ive fitted HIDs to my hood (post iva)

they need aligning by a garage (will have to wait till i've taxed it) but they are mega bright and a nice white light colour too.

they are however illegal without headlamp washers and self adjusting thingys

they are good but probably not worth the effort, if i'd realised they were going to made an mot fail i wouldnt have bothered.

come MOT time i'll be taking them off and just fitting soem good quality bulbs.