A Frame Towing

Guest mal007

Guest Ian & Carole

One member we have tows his behind his motor home on an A frame without issue, be aware that if your kit weighs in at more than 750 kgs it must be "braked" when being towed.

Yes, I've towed a couple with an A frame. the biggest problem is fixing the A frame to the car. The first time I put the straps over the radius arms just behind the bottom ball joints, this was very sable and steering response was good, the problem came on tight corners, the wheels can rub the A frame arms.

The next time, we clamped onto the radius arms behind the front shocks, unfortunately this did allow the A frame legs to "slide" along the radius arms slightly.

We've also towed one with wishbones, Again, due to the fixing distances of the A frame legs, and the acute angle of the wishbone components, the clamps can slide along the wishbones a bit when braking, marking them, and doesn't steer as good as I'd have liked.

Get over the fixing to the car so there is no chance of movement and the car will follow you excellently.

Guest marsbar

Hi Mal , My first (Dutton) kit was brought home using a A frame and worked great, I then bought one and tried to tow my 2B. This did not work at all, tried to twist the whole front end of the car, bloody frightening, so if you are thinking of using one, borrow or hire one and try it on your car first, and avoid disappointment.

I bought a towing dolly to move my cars about, works well.

Guest Ian & Carole

Would an angle bracket fixed using a longer bolt in the bottom front wish-bone mounts give a suitable place for the "A" frame to bolt to?

That is more or less what Kev has done , the "A" frame bolts ridgid to the lower whishbone mounting, he says it tows a dream.

have the legalitys of A frames been confirmed yet? I read an artical in a campervan magazine at the dentist some time back, that suggested they where only legal for towing off a motorway in the event of a breakdown.

It said there was a move to clarify the law but I've not followed the storey.

it might have been related to braking weights as well but I can't remember all of it.

Don't forget your steering will need to self centre to work effectively too, my exmo doesn't and it made for an awkward moment winching it onto a recovery truck when I fist bought it.

If you use an A Frame to tow it looks like you will need a system to opperate the brakes as well, unless you are recovering it to a place of safety.

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/a-frames.shtml

If the trailer (car) has brakes they must work, when the towing vehicle brakes!

Steve

You can tow the car as it is so long as it's under 750 kg, over that you are supposed to have the brakes working when you slow the tow car. I know someone (cough!) who's towed larger than that a number of times with an A frame, using a full lightboard with proper numberplate on (not just temp number scrawled on with a felt tip) A "on tow" sign (again made as a square numberplate) A flashing roof beacon etc. I've he's passed a good number of police patrols without any interest. Basically *look correct*

• 5 years later...
Guest lotusPaul

My understanding is if towing on an A frame or draw bar etc.is,

The towed and towing car must both have current road fund licences and insurance.

This is because it, the towed vehicle, is still using the public highway.

I was given this info by a friendly police officer. Which is why i had to then hire a tow truck to move my lotus 50miles. Cost was eye watering.

My understanding is that an A frame keeps all 4 wheels of the towed vehicle on the road.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=745771

What I know as a dolly is a hoist fitted to a short 2 wheel frame which is towed.

Either the front of the car is lifted off the road, or the 2 front wheels sit in a cradle that pivots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=252920724495&&&adgroupid=39910041817&rlsatarget=pla-299680624029&abcId=1088896&adtype=pla&merchantid=116258487&poi=&googleloc=9044981&device=c&campaignid=805055692&crdt=0&chn=ps