Wiper Crank

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

had a look at fitting the wipers today, (been on nightshift for 3 weeks solid so the car has had no progress over the last few weeks) and i remember from previous posts that the wipers have to park on the drivers side. however the wipers that came with my kit seem to be cranked to the left,

has any one else found this and been able to sort it any way? or is it buy a new set of wipers with a right hand crank? so the wipers are in the resting position on the drivers side

am i overlooking some stupidly easy way of doing it?

not sure the answer to your exact question but this might be useful if you are happy modding stuff.

For my wipers i wanted a longer sweep on the passenger side (mine do park on the drivers side - think off a mk2 fiesta) so i altered the lever position by moving the ball joint. My passenger side now moves further than the drivers side so it wipes more of the screen. From memory i just ground the ball joint off and then drilled a new position for it and welded it back in. Obv have to do a bit of testing to make sure you don't move it so it goes too far and hits the surround etc.

Not sure what you have so don't know if you are one with 'arms' like mine or the cable driven type, in which case ignore the above :)

hth

If it's a Mini type Lucas motor, refer to this to take the motor apart:

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/wiper-systems/

On the drive gear, you can slide the plastic gear off the metal driveshaft and rotate it 180 degrees (as in turn it another half turn, not turn it over). This will mean that the tab on the plastic gear that triggers the park switch will now cause the motor to park at it's opposing end of travel.

Or alternatively, swap the wiper spindle wheel boxes 180 degrees - i.e. if the drive tube is at the bottom of the spindle wheel box, swap it over so its at the top (or vice versa)

Guest mcramsay

Sorry what I mean is that the wiper arms are actually cranked to the left ( when looking from the inside of the car out) meaning they sit horizontally int parked position on the passenger side of the car, I want them the other way around... If you see what I mean, I guess I need arms which are cranked to the right?

Guest Sharky

Craig,

Not sure if the above answers were what you are looking for?

If I understand correctly, you are talking about your wiper arms kicking off to the opposite side that you would need them to? If that is the case, this is what I did...

Drill out the rivets holding the thin part of the upper wiper arm to the lower section.

Now you need to work out the length of wiper you need - this obviously dictates the sweep as well, so it is worth playing with masking tape and trying different lengths for a while to get it right.

You will also no doubt have to cut the wiper blade to a shorter length as well - may end up with one side of the wiper blade longer than the other but this will optimise the swept area. By trial and error you will work out the best combination of arm length and blade length offsets to get a good swept area.

Now you can mark the length of wiper arm you need, cut the thin portion to length, remember to measure twice and check thrice!!

Now drill your rivet holes and also a hole at the lower end for the tension spring to fit and slightly bend the tensioning part so that once riveted, you can still fit the spring ok.

Now rivet the arm back together .. Et voila!

Try not to operate wipers on a dry windscreen, always wet it with a sponge or something, otherwise you won't get a true sweep and you put the motor under undue stress.

Hope that helps?

Sharky

I had the same problem with the GBS supplied wiper arms (they would have parked on passenger side), so I just bought a set of adjustable arms from Car Builders Solutions (sill had to shorten these). Car Builders sell these arms in right or left hand park.

Bob

Hi Mcramsay

found instructions for park swap on kit spares web site downloads

turning gearboxes will have the same effect, but not advised, something to do with damaged scuttle skins.

no need to drill out rivets on arms.

make sure the motor can not be started accidentally

cut off bent part at top of wiper arm

fit wiper arms vertically up screen (careful not to scratch screen)

cut 20mm off each end of wiper blades

put blades onto end of wiper arms (they will stick over the top edge of the screen)

measure how much of the blade is higher than the glass just below the frame (call that X)

remove blade and arm

measure distance X from end of arm and cut

re assemble and check position (if you are uncomfortable with that cut off less than X and trial fit)

when blade on arm is on glass just below frame (approx 1mm) you have the right length

remove arm and blade again and drill through the hole in back of blade connection and arm

remove blade from arm, remove the spring clip from rear of blade connector (note not before drilling)

rivet blade to arm

make sure motor at park position

fit one arm back onto spindle

twist arm so that blade is 90 deg to screen

twist blade on arm so that it is parallel to bottom of frame

test operation (being ready to pull blade away from screen if necc)

if OK do other

simples :D

you know how to get me if necc :)

Edited by knights_templar

The wipers do not have to park on left or right of screen; they have to work to give a good field of veiw. Florin passed IVA parking on passenger side; I built the mini set-up this way so the driver's blade wipes to the windscreen pillar; parking to driver's side leaves an unswept "triangle" across a large section of top off-side screen. Sorry,won't be able to visit as arranged 'til after Le Mans now; hope your wipers do just that in the mean-time.

Guest mcramsay

cheers for the replys guys, looks like i will have to do some modding of the wiper arms and blades then! its more difficult for me as i do not have the holes for the wiper gearbox's pre drilled, i have got some measurements for them but i dont want to drill the holes until im sure thats where i want them to be! alas my period of night shifts has just been extended again, so no more playing with the car for another 2 weeks! florin, let me know when you are back and have a bit of free time, an extra paif of hands that know what they are doing (dont take that in the wrong way!) woudlnt go a miss!