Z20Let In A 2B

steve_wilson

It's been a bit of a slog, but it's all finished now, rewire with new fuse box and relay box, bonnet chop and fixed scuttle in place of the alligator bonnet, the turbo transplant, little bonnet bulge and a big new exhaust.

150 test miles so far and have got to say it's bloody quick and frightening too. Things that were on the horizon are suddenly very big, very quickly.

Just like to say thanks to everybody whose brains I picked and whose ideas and knowledge I nicked, I don't think I would have come up with some of the ideas you gave me.

20130419_144100.jpg

Say hello to Peperami - it's a bit of an animal!

A few more test miles and we should be good for Stoneleigh

• 2 months later...

had a little bit of progress on my engine today.

chopped down the sump ready to have some 3mm steel welded to the bottom of it.

my question is this...

I've managed to get the pickup pipe about 10mm off the bottom of the sump, does that sound about right?

thanks, steve

6mm is usually about the normal clearance. if you have the time and material I would extend the sump, don't forget the oil is going to getting a hard time in the turbo and the more there is the easier its life will be.

If you do extend make sure you baffle it too, flat sumps are killers for oil surge.

hi steve

fair enough, i'll always take good advice! I've made a carboard template of the sump extension so will bend that up tomorrow and hopefully weld it up.

did you use a baffle plate like on of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OIL-SUMP-BAFFLE-PLATE-GASKET-C20XE-REDTOP-/190823941470?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6dfe455e

hows your z20let? any closer to a fix?

That's a windage plate to stop the oil getting whipped up by the big ends.

Either put plates across the sump or a little box/sump around the pick up to stop the oil rushing away from it when you brake hard.

As for mine, I'm in France and the engine is in bits in the UK so no progress yet.

thanks steve,

kit car funds have dried up for now, so will have to a wait a little while now before any more progress.

managed to make good use of a week off work though and I've rebuild my z20let :)

photo2_zpsef308551.jpg

photo1_zps25fab4cf.jpg

need to finish my sump, get a bellhousing and then i'll be ready to start trying it for size in the engine bay!

• 1 month later...

well I've been slowly doing bits and bats on this for the last month or two since my last update

as ever with these projects they never go easy as planned, and theres a few bits I've been meaning to get round to re-doing since I built the car, and having the engine out was a good opportunity.

anyway, in order to reuse the original inlet manifold I had to do away with the servo unit, this still didn't give me enough clearance, so looked at steves solution of having a backwards mounted master cylinder, liked the idea but looked a bit too much extra work for me at the moment.

I ended up buying an OBP floor mounted pedal box

photo5_zpsa1807c35.jpg

seems a nice bit of kit, with two master cylinders. will take of bit of faffing to get it working with my cable clutch, but that shouldn't be a massive job.

also, to give a little more clearance for the inlet manifold I chopped out the original pedal box mounting tube (the one that runs across the car), and replaced it for a bit of straight box st/st 40X40 box section.

should look quite neat when it's all done

photo4_zpsc1860da7.jpg

made myself a swirl pot, and a new fuel sender (reusing the sierra level sensor)

photo2_zpscab9fb09.jpg

and I made the engine mounts today for the z20let. happy with how they've turned out! no pictures though.

hopefully by the end of the week engine should be in properly and I can start on the wiring, plumbing and exhaust!

Nice bit of work there Steve.

Mine is all back together, working and properly mapped. Just about finished running in and can start exploring the top end of the rev range. Had a small hiccup with a leak from the rear crank seal, but all seems ok now.

Enjoying driving the car now instead of getting the spanners on it every other day