Z20Let In A 2B

steve_wilson

I've had a serious session with the angry grinder today, so hopefully if it's dry tomorrow I'll drop the engine in again and see what the clearance is.

Might just have to slot the mounting holes a little too.

Simon, here's a link to a pedal thread that might give you some ideas

Thanks Richard, I am pretty pleased with how it's turning out.

And in the battle of car versus angry grinder it's grinder 1 car 0 and have now got clearance between the steering and the inlet, so no further modifications needed

DSCF1333.jpg

I can get cracked on now and hopefully it will all be done before the end of March

looks really neat steve, thanks for putting pictures up. good to see that the original inlet manifold fits ok

whats gearbox are you using? a type 9 might not last too long with the torque a z20let is capable of

picked up a t5 gearbox for mine yesterday, off to yukspeed on Friday to buy the remaining parts so hopefully I may be in a similar position to you soon!

keep up the good work!

No Steve, not using the original sump. I ditched that as well as the crankshaft balance shafts from inside. The balance shafts are fed with oil from no 2 and 3 main bearing caps so you need to sort that out. Either spend £100 plus on a deletion kit or do as I did and tap the oil feeds in the caps to M7 and loctite bolts in them to block the flow, total cost £6 for tap and bolts.

I've then used a steel sump from a 2.0 cavalier and had it modified as in the pics below, round holes allow oil flow and square one is for the dipstick. You'll also need an oil pick up pipe from a c20xe and you cut both pick up pipes and weld them together, I'll get pics if you need them.

the sump as modified comes level with the bottom of the plough at the front of the engine, all the extra metal work is 3mm so should be ok if it takes a knock or a scrape.

20130117_151621.jpg

20130117_151755.jpg

20130117_151700.jpg

Then you'll need to sort out the n/s engine mounting as the boost pipe goes right where the mounting wants to be, as well as the turbo oil feed and return pipes, here's my idea below

20130118_174335.jpg

The boost pipe passes through the mounting, which is stood off the block on 30mm spacers to clear the oil pipes.

Sorry about the pics they're from my phone

I'm also using a 2.0 ecotec throttle body to get round the fly by wire throttle, it's slightly larger than a sierra cosworth body so hopefully it will be ok

Brand new two part clutch for a 2.8 V6 Galaxy/Sharon arrived today. Only need the friction plate and at £21 from ebay it's worth a punt to see if a clutch intended for a seven seat people carrier is up to taking the power from the turbo.

hi steve

thanks for keeping this updated, im sure will be a big help for me later down the line.

will be interested to hear if the clutch is up to it! what sort of bhp and torque are you after from it?

no updates from me on it. still got the z20let and a t5 gearbox sitting in the garage not doing much. bellhousing and clutch will be getting ordered come payday. think i'm going to go for a helix 6 paddle jobby. a massive overkill i'm sure, but i know i'll get greedy with the power further down the line so i'm doing my best to future proof it!

thanks, steve

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress to report on, cooling system is just about finished just waiting for a pipe to be delivered, alloy triple core radiator is from a Honda Civic, courtesy of Ant b.

There's also a little discreet intercooler to keep the inlet air temperature down.

20130225_142506.jpg

20130225_141631.jpg

There's going to be a 'little' hole in the nose cone with a scoop to force air through the intercooler, the rad will get cooled by air through the nose and the fan and all that hot air may need ducting out to give the oil cooler a chance.

Still waiting for parts, postie has been for today so looks like another day lost.

Hi Steve.......I think you need to make your discreet intercooler a little more obvious....very difficult to spot ;)

I noticed this in the latest burton power mag...just a thought for your oil cooler.....

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/cooling-system/ducts-duct-hose/revotec-oil-cooler-duct-for-16-row-cooler-revocd16.html