Kit Car Build Times

WallerZ

What are everyone's rough build times for their kit car? I'm hoping to build one between now and summer, I already have the donor car just about in bits and the kit is being collected soon.

Ambitious?

Edited by WallerZ

Guest mower man

Indterminable !! owing to life throwing spanners in the works .A lot depends on how organised you are I know of a cater thing being built in around 60 hrs by 6 blokes with all skills etc and of RH 's taking 5+ years prep is al important HTH mower man :drinks:

Guest Tim Norman

A second pair of hands will speed the build dramatically. I had a friend help each week end and we managed the V8 build from scratch with no instructions in 6 months just doing weekends. But that was a 2B and the newer kits need a lot less problem solving. Enthusiasm and a sense of humour are the key. Enjoy it. :D

Guest aidankinnell

I'm 15 months in and still have a few more to go until I'll be happy to book the IVA. Could have been done in November but took a break from the build. Have had a few breaks along the way an only really done weekends on the car.

I work full time 8-5 weekdays, so will try fit an hour or two or three in the evenings and a fair few weekends on it. It's the new Mazda kit GBS have so hopefully it will flow together nicely...

I'm trying to have everything here and ready so there is little time waiting for parts etc but as you all know, there will likely be something missed. I may have a second pair of hands towards the summer but likely to be on my own, maybe a helping couple when the going gets tough.

I have plenty of humour, taking my donor apart taught me the funny side once you realise the part you've been pulling at and kicking for the previous 2 hours actually has a hidden fixing!

At least some people say it's possible, glad I'm not being too mad!

I work as a hgv driver and turn in 65-70 hours a week monday to friday and i have built a car in 6 month (from bare chassis) if your prepared to accept compromises and use what you have and not try to modify everything its do-able. as soon as you move away from standard donor parts your into all sorts of problems some will be easy to sort ....some will be a pig to resolve.

It's possible if you can spare the time and you have no obligations/commitments to others. I have made two mistakes, OK two big mistakes lots of small ones. Bought a car with out a test drive or seeing it and seriously under estimated the time. I tried to juggle a MSc, being a dad and husband, foster carer and I was promoted in work not ideal. Third year, still enjoying the build, Rhocar and kit car shows.

All the best

I had one of the earlier Zero's and it took me three years to complete and get on the road, and for at least two of that I was away almost constantly Monday through Friday.

I too thought I had everything to hand and set myself a target of one year, but then found out there was no proper manual and thus spent a lot of time researching odds and sods - mainly where I wanted to deviate and put my own "stamp" on the car or in areas that I would say, I was simply not mentally equipped to undertake at the time! This time spent thinking, planning and researching two or three jobs ahead actually saved even more time over just jumping in (as the old adage goes, measure twice and cut once)! Plus there will always be bits that you wished you had done differently "just like the one you saw at a particular show or somewhere on tinters" and thats the crux of it all really - individuality, otherwise the forecourt beckons and a second hand MX-5 or Z3 may be a better option for the money and save all the aggro of building and the pain of birth at IVA!!?

From my experience, most people deep down want to build their kit and take some degree of pride from their own handiwork and especially the clever little mods and such like which make a kit car individual to them. Too much haste may well end up with an 'individual' car that doesn't quite hang right or annoys you every time you look at a certain bit!! (although I would suspect that we all have a couple of those)! So take your time and give yourself a good deal of slack and no pressure.

So how long to build? Well, if you have all the info, all the parts and all the tools, then I would say six to nine months in spare time without causing a split with the significant other would be achievable on the more modern Zero, but remember, just like the original Zero's the Mazda kit is breaking new ground . . .

Best of luck and don't be shy to ask for help on here, this is the best manual going!

Sharky

Good words Sharky, it's supposed to be an enjoyable pass time; build it how you want & don't watch the clock or calendar; Florin took us 40 months,we stopped building when-ever we wanted for the very reason of enjoying the build & we have a car that we are pleased with (in the main -- although in a certain light I wish I could have made that bit better & then there's-----)