Wonkey Wheels?

Ben Powers

I have got hold of a 2nd set of cheap wheels to ruin on autotests/solos. They are sierra wheels to go on the Exmo's sierra axles.

Please forgive my mechanical ignorance but whilst the wheels fit on the studs, the holes in the wheels mean that the wheels can move about slightly on the studs, probably about 5mm of wiggle. The nice OZ wheels that came with the car don't do this, they fit snugly onto the studs. The wheel nuts are tapered, as are the holes in the sierra wheels, is it ok/the norm that the tapered nuts hold the wheels in place centrally/securely? Or will I turn it into a clown car at the first corner?

Having put them on and done the standard scrutineers test of 'having a go and wiggling them' there is no movement, but I'm nervous about chucking it into a corner to see if they come off!

Some alloys (are they?) needed special wheel nuts with either a 'shaft' with the thread contained in it that went through the stud hole to centralise the wheel (sorry can't think of a better way to explain it), or the nuts had a captive collar.

There can be different angle of tapers as well, but I suspect that if you have done the 'wiggle test' with no movement then the holes in the wheels may be slightly oversized (due to age/use). The taper should eliminate this wiggle and centralise the wheel.

I'd suggest getting a Sierra wheel nut and see if these differ in taper from your original, just to be sure. Before chucking it into corners, it might also be an idea to gradually build up to full on conering (in a safe area of course) to build confidence and avoid membership of the 3 wheeled club.

Sierra wheels are centralised on the hubs by their centre hole, not centralised by the studs. Sounds like you have not bought sierra wheels. Using the wheels you have bought will stress the stud taper seats and they may break eventually. You can get hubcentric spacers to correctly locate the centres. Measure the hub centre and the wheel centre diameters, get suitable spacers and you're in business.

Nigel

Nigel, I agree..... But, I think the o.p might be talking about rotational "wiggle" (quote). I.e.... The wheel is perhaps concentric on its centre, but the tapered nuts centralize the holes to the studs. ??

Thanks chaps, I didn't get chance to swap wheels round today so no photos, I'll put some up tomorrow. These are the wheels - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221174296331?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D221174296331%26_rdc%3D1

There doesn't appear to be anything holding the hub centrally, it is just the studs so I will investigate some appropriate spacers. The wheel nuts that I have match those linked so thats a plus!

I think you are back to my original concern. I got the name wrong. Not hub centric spacers but hub centering spigot rings. Like these.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUB-O-CENTRE-Spigot-Rings-66-5-76-0-76mm-TSW-BRAND-NEW-PREVENT-WHEEL-VIBRATION-/140765685447?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item20c649e6c7

Nigel

Guest mcramsay

A word of warning, make sure you don't drive the car without spigot rings fitted! The wheel locates on the spigot and this takes the force through the wheel, the nuts just hole the when tight to the spigot, my misses had alloy wheels fitted to her car by her cousin, who really had no idea what he was doing, he stuck wheels from a different car on hers, he thought they were fine because the stud pattern was the same, however the spigot on the hub was 15mm smaller in diameter than the wheels, I got a call from her saying that she had to pull over because her wheel felt like it was going to come off, it was not till I took the wheel off ( 3 nuts had come off and 1 was hand tight) I realized what the idiot had done. The only good thing was my misses was 30 secs from getting on the motorway and she had the sense to stop. Otherwise her front wheels would have literally blown off doing 70 mph on the motorway. Measure the spigot in the hub and then the Od of the hole in the wheel. That will tell you which spigot rings you need, which I'm sure you can get on ebay

So I was undecided about whether or not to own up to it, but yet again I've been a numpty. Took the nice wheels off, put the rubbish ones on to take photos, realised that there was a wheel spacer fitted, removed it to reveal a centering protrusion, rubbish wheels now fit snugly on to the hub, no movement whatsoever with the holes centered perfectly on the studs. Its almost as if the wheels were made for the car... *sigh*

As far as I can tell removal of the wheel spacer (only 10mm or so) hasn't affected the location of the wheel in the arch either, bonus.