Pre-Iva Photos

Guest davidimurray

Guest davidimurray

Hope you all don't mind me cheekily posting this over here. I regularly read the forum as it is such a wealth of knowledge. My build of my Haynes Roadster is almost complete and I would be very grateful if you wouldn't mind casting your eyes over my build.

After a week off working in a boiling garage I think I am just about there. Going to make a start on the paperwork this week so thought it would be a good idea to post a few photos up here. Would be great if you could have a look through and see if you can spot anything that needs attention. Jobs still to do are :-

Trim headlight lower ring

Fit under dash covers

set headlight alignment.

Make some covers to go over upper seatbelt mounts

All advise gratefully received

Cheers

Dave

DSC_4930.JPG

DSC_4931.JPG

DSC_4932.JPG

DSC_4937.JPG

DSC_4938.JPG

DSC_4939.JPG

DSC_4943.JPG

DSC_4944.JPG

DSC_4945.JPG

DSC_4948.JPG

Is your VIN stamped or welded on the chassis itself ? I was pulled up for that which I could correct on the day.

The VIN plate on the firewall is not sufficient.

( I can't see if you've done this as it's a very small detail and I can't see from the photos alone )

Simon.

Guest davidimurray

Thanks for taking the time to look at my photos.

The cables in the foot well are my megajolt connectors, these will be hidden away and I have some covers to fit under the dash that will totally enclose it.

I had to change the fog light as it wasn't f marked, this one is b and f marked.

My vin is engraved into a plate welded onto the top brace just under the nose.However I have heard that the local inspector does not accept welded plates, although may be different as it is now specifically mentioned in the iva manual. I was going to mark out the vin again on the brace by the exhaust and centre pop the letters into the tube so there is less chance of damaging the tube that stamping.

Cheers

Dave

The IVA specifically ask that the VIN number IS welded / stamped onto a chassis member. I tried with pop rivets and told that was not allowed.

It also needs to be on the offside of the vehicle, not the nearside (kerb side).

If you can get hold of an engraver and stencil, that may be better than laborious centre punching the shape of each letter.

There must be no spacing between letters where another could be fitted though.

Oh, and the horn symbol on the steering wheel. Does it sound the horn when pressed? (I had a horn button on the dash middle and the steering wheel was not connected. I covered this with a small piece of black PVC tape.)

If the symbol is there and the inspector presses it and it doesn't work, it fails.

Any knobs, buttons that are visible from the driving seat must be labelled as to purpose as well.

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidimurray

Hello Everyone

Thanks again for all the comments. All have been taken on-board / incorporated. Forms have been with VOSA 2 1/2 weeks now and are apparently in the technical section and should get a date sometime this week. One interesting 'problem' I did find was the foglight switch.

Had bought a rocker switch from Vehicle wiring products complete with the fog symbol on it. When I went through the 'bible' I realised the tell-tale was red not, yellow as per the manual. New switch now fitted but an easy one to miss!

Also on a seprate reccomendation I have also cut the wiper stalk off just in case the inspector gets the wrong idea!

The switch tell-tale colours and symbols shown in Table A of the IVA manual are for guidance only - you can use any colour, symbol or wording as long as it's clear and doesn't cause confusion.

I failed when I used a red switch like you - but they failed it because the symbol on it was for a front fog lamp and not a rear one!! Looking at the manual now - maybe it should have passed because I've not got front fogs only a rear one and the switch is a fog lamp switch - hardly confusing for the driver?

Guest davidimurray

That's interesting Richy, I had assumed that as they were listed in the manual they were compulsory.

Just chased VOSA and was told that my application had made it through the technical department and been put in the post to the test centre late yesterday afternoon so I should get a date in the next few days, fingers crossed!