Engine Electrical Problem

richardm6994

I have sent an email to trigger wheels today explaining the problem.

29 minutes later I got a response from them with a few suggestions! Full credit to them :)

Basically there main poit is to try what Nigel has suggested......(what do they say about great minds :) )

Asked Dan this morning if you had tried that.

Hi Richard, what model megajolt is it? After chatting with you at the meeting have you thought about running without Edis, If its possible I could fit the coil drivers for you.

I have the option of borrowing an oscilloscope which may show up the misfire problem.

Cheers, Kerry

Hi Kerry, many thanks for the offer. At the moment I'm determined to get what I've got working because quite simply....IT SHOULD F?£KING WORK!

I've had another play tonight.

First point to note was that when I started the engine, I was running it up to temperature at 1600rpm and the problem was really bad until the engine completely died. It restarted okay and then the problem wasn't as bad.

Right then...so I've tried the swapping coils thingy. Because of the engine!'s firing order, I swapped the coil pack plugs and the spark plug leads together.

As I swapped sides with the leads and plugs, so the problem swapped sides. I repeated swapping back and forth 3 times and it definitely changes sides.

It's worth mentioning that when the engine is running on 4 cylinders, it's difficult to see the problem because of how rough the engine is running in the first place.

The easy thing to see though is that the 'good' side will run at 600rpm continuously and the 'bad' side stalls after about 4 seconds.

So it's looking like my new coil pack arriving tomorrow isn't the answer I was looking for.

What next? There is the million dollar question!

now confused you said the problem swapped sides so why isnt it your coil pack/s there is nothing else it could be now and as you said the pinto did it as well the only commen factor is that coil pack and the massive rear wing! apperantly cheap coil packs are bleep you should have bought a more expensive one... So mr B says

What I mean dan is....

When you was round....we unplugged both coil packs one at a time and it was the trigger wheels coil that looked faulty.

That was the same tonight....but when I swapped the feeds to the coil packs....it was the other coil pack that looked faulty.

Put it back how it was and the problem was back to the trigger wheels coil.

Are these coil packs the same as the zetec ones? I have a spare knocking around somewhere.

As for checking with a scope, I have those available as well as a capacitive pickup which fits over the plug leads themselves so checking that out would not be a problem.

Simon.

Plug then?

It would make sense but the crimped pins all look fine. I've tried to take the plugs to bits but I think I would completely knacker the pins if I did....but from what I can see they are secure and "wiggling" them with the engine running doesn't effect anything.

The only thing left I can think of is to strip it all out, move the edis into the passenger compartment and start again from scratch.

A picture speaks a thousand words so this is the two set-up I did last night and what I mean by the problem swapping coil packs.

post-8984-0-12600000-1381224595_thumb.jpg

Triggerwheels are now pointing me in the direction of my spark plug leads...i.e swapping them around to see if it makes any difference.