Engine Electrical Problem

richardm6994

Guest nippynick

I dont know if this helps but i had a honda motorcycle once it was an older machine that had originally been fitted with an engine that had points ignition but by the time it came to me it had a cdi engine and i had a similar problem. it went away when i fitted a coil that could cope with the demand of the hotter spark needed to keep the ignition system working. just a thought.

Have wired the Megajolt, EDIS and coil pack direct to battery ( with a simple switch so you can turn it off) and tried that?

This will eliminate any loom/ ignition switch problems

what Dan and I did was.....with the megajolt unplugged (engine just running off edis), the coils and edis power and earth going straight to the battery terminals without any switch between them. The only way to stop the engine was to disconnect the leads from the battery.

The problem was still happening and so that's why I took the leap and bought a new edis, edis plug, coil packs and coil pack plugs.....thinking that it must be one of them at fault.....but these new bits didn't make any difference :(

off we went to mark's......thought we'd found the fault because of a wiring issue with my shielded cable....fixed the wiring and it felt like the problem was sorted...until I got the car home and it happened again...and again....

I've got a circa 12mm thick cable going from battery to a bolt on the bellhouse and a 10mm thick cable going from battery to chassis.

I've also got a 4 / 5mm(ish) cable going from battery to an m6 bolt on my chassis and from this "earthed" bolt I've taken all the "light loads" earths to (gauges, indicators, brake lights etc...).

I don't mean to keep shooting you down Paul as I'm grateful of all suggestions :).... but we've tried disconnecting the tacho.

Dan and I must have spent 5 days messing about with different combinations of things to try and fix it......we even got desperate and started wrapping bits in tin-foil to shield!!!and then it spent the day at Mark's garage to.....

About the only thing left to do is strip it all out and start again :(

The V4 Megajolt is EDIS free

Can you run the Megajolt data record facility on your laptop and post the results on here and on Autosportslabs

I discovered a problem with VR sensor using the datalog

Edited by Snapperpaul

It sounds to me like the thingamabob from the whatsit it not getting any do da from the oojamaflip so the whatchamacallum has gone all doohickey.

Sounds like one of Mr Bruces diagnosis... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Guest robinj66

what Dan and I did was.....with the megajolt unplugged (engine just running off edis), the coils and edis power and earth going straight to the battery terminals without any switch between them.

Were you still using the same coil pack plugs? - see post #130