Engine Electrical Problem

richardm6994

At marks, I thought I'd wired it up wrong....which was not a surprise but at the same time it did surprise me because when I'm not sure what I'm doing, I always make sure I follow instructions or drawings to the letter.

The first thing I did when I got home was check my wiring diagram (the first picture) and the way I'd wired the edis was exactly the same as the diagram! Then I looked at Simons link and that drawing (second picture) shows no link between pin 7 and ground....which is exactly how mark told me it should be and I'd balls up by linking the pin7 to ground.

From what I've gather from today's lessons is that the shield should either be connected only to ground or only to pin 7 and certainly not both at the same time!

I'm sure I speak for a lot of members when I say we are all breathing a sigh of relief. :) It's been a fascinating journey, both here on the forum and at Hollowell, so many thanks for sharing it with us. A very useful addition to the forum knowledge base. And congrats to the 3 of you for finally figuring it out.

• Like 2

Yes I've seen! I wondered why you both was giggling like school girls whilst I was trying to get some work done!

One other thing mark.....makes you wonder why that first wiring diagram is wrong? Or if it's just pure bad luck that it effected mine so badly?

or was the second diagram an update due to people having similar problems.

Very very interesting I have wired my Pinto with the earth as the first diagram

Whilst I don't have issues ( well not with the ignition) I may cut it and see what happens

Well done all for finally getting to the bottom of the problem especially as it was not at all obvious.

And thanks for increasing our joint knowledge

• Like 1

Cheers Paul. The true test of if the problem is solved will be when I take it for a drive. Because of the rubbish weather we did all the work with the car on the back of the trailer.

I am sure mark and dan got the problem solved. As wired up in the first diagram, the fault would happen 2 or 3 times within 5 minutes of the engine running.

When pin 7 was cut, we ran the car for about 12 minutes and it showed no fault.

Connected pin 7 back up and the fault was back again.

Disconnect pin 7 and another long session without any issues.

And then one final check was with pin7 disconnected and the engine running fine, dan used the stripped end of pin7 wire and kept reconnecting it to the earth. Every time it was reconnected the fault happen within seconds.

So in my eyes, this was pretty conclusive......and the fact that there are 2 different wiring diagrams showing this same difference.

Ps....mark and dan figured out the problem without knowing about the 2 wiring diagrams....I discovered that bit when I got home