Engine Electrical Problem

richardm6994

A massive thanks to dan who has spent a good 4 or 5 hour with me checking everything over and eliminating potential faults.

Unfortunately the problem is still not fixed.

We bypassed all my ignition wiring (like we did at the national meet) to eliminate any wiring problems behind the dash.

We eliminated the megajolt unit as the problem still happens with the megajolt unplugged.

We did loads of other things throughout the day but still no joy other than a possible faulty coil pack......

There are 2 coils packs.....1 came from trigger wheels and the other came second hand.....if you unplug 1 coil pack at a time, the engine still runs but.....

On both coil packs, the engine idles at 1000rpm with the fault.

With the engine running off just the second hand coil pack...it idles at 600rpm and the fault doesn't happen.

With the engine running off just the trigger wheel coil pack...it idles at 500rpm and the fault does happen.

So this maybe points towards a dodgy coil pack? The funny thing is though it's the trigger wheels coil pack which was brand new?!

The other thing to consider is that I've had this problem (progressively getting worse) since I installed the megajolt setup on the pinto engine....although I never got to the bottom of it before the v8 transplant happened.

This trigger wheel coil pack is the only bit on the ignition system left over from the pinto setup?!? Even the megajolt is different from the pinto as I went from a tps box to a map box during the v8 build...

So on the back of this I've now ordered a new coil pack....my hope is lost but dan and I couldn't think what else it could be :(

Update on Tuesday / Wednesday when the coil pack arrives....

We didn't try that Nigel, but I can see what youre thinking :)

After I ordered a new coil pack I put it away and went to the pub for a pint of the good stuff!

I might look at it again tomorrow or just wait for the new coil pack to arrive on Tuesday.

after 5hrs of getting no where think we had about had enough ! the drive home was fun though 8)

Guest alfaGTA

Could it possibly be engine resonance causing your VR to vibrate and miss the trigger wheel? trigger wheel not bent leaving a gap and again being missed by the sensor?

Perhaps a bit late in the day but i have two coil packs (Gen 1) and a MAP based megajolt, my car isn't going anywhere quickly so welcome to borrow!

Also, have you two coil packs in close proximity to your megajolt? Could they be interfering with the megajolt electrickery in some way?

Hi Kieth.....you're train of thought is exactly the same as ours........

VR sensor.....we messed about with this and the bracket and sensor are solid without any kind of movement.....we also backed the sensors away from the 0.25mm I'd set it from the trigger wheel and it still worked 1.5mm away!!! So that's how we've ruled that one out.....

The megajolt is in the passenger compartment so no problems there, but the edis is right next to the coil packs so we got tin foil and wrapped everything to shield it from each other with no effect....although I am tempted to move the edis into the passenger compartment as this is probably best-practice.

Being honest...and Dan agreed....this is a real head-scratcher....and if the new coil pack doesn't work I'm not sure what to do next (and before you say it Dan...I'm not fitting a dizzy just yet :) )

I have sent an email to trigger wheels today explaining the problem.

29 minutes later I got a response from them with a few suggestions! Full credit to them :)

Basically there main poit is to try what Nigel has suggested......(what do they say about great minds :) )

Did you try swapping the coil packs around to run one set of four cylinders on the new pack and then on the old pack then the other set of four cylinders on one and then the other of the coil packs. Did you still get the rev difference?

Nigel