Rebuilt Zetec First Start-Tips

Guest alfaGTA

Guest davidimurray

She starts and idle's nicely :) takes light throttle and is pissing petrol out from the front of the carb's.... Any pointers on zx9r carb set up's regarding what need's blocking off or altering?! Thanks for your help tonight Dan :) and for laughing loudly when i'd forgot to connect the power to the coil pack.....

Where is the petrol coming from?

Is it from the inside or outside?

Does every carb leak?

Have you got a fuel pressure regulator installed and setup?

Edited by davidimurray

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alfaGTA

Where is the petrol coming from?

Is it from the inside or outside?

Does every carb leak?

Have you got a fuel pressure regulator installed and setup?

I think the float needle's are a bit sticky and letting fuel past when the carb bowl is full, the fuel then pours out from all the air corrector holes, when i blocked the air corrector holes the fuel came out of the top through the float breathers.... The carbs came via ebay from a bike breakers and i've had them sat for a few months so will strip down, clean, lubricate, refit and try again.

I've got an inline pressure regulator and its turned down to 1.5psi, higher or lower made no difference on the initial startup-petrol still poured out.

Guest davidimurray

That sounds like floats. While your at it, take all the jets out and soak them in carb cleaner for 24 hours and spray it down the jet passages. the pilots in particular are prone to getting gummed up and blowing through them alone will not clean them. I found that out the hard way - took me 3 months to diagnose my rough running and was all down to those bl**dy jets!

Guest alfaGTA

don't block off any holes behind trumpet plate leave that till rr session

I aim to get it running, not overheating and fit to load onto a trailer and then off to rolling road session. then mot, tax and get terrorising Dan's stylus

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alfaGTA

Fast forward a week I had issues with a slow cranking engine, was always present but was getting worse! Dan E popped over again and we got straight to the garage (I didn't even offer him a brew :diablo: ) to remove the old starter to inspect-it was covered in oil and crap thanks to a previous life attached to a stealth pinto. Cleaned up the contacts including the solenoid to starter housing lead that i'd omitted to clean originally, tested on the bench and all was well so refitted and it passed the cranking test 100%.

Time to make some Sunday morning noise then! Fuel pump on, carbs charged with fuel and bang she sprang into life again, well two cylinders were alive and two were still sleeping despite the noise! Check for fuel in carbs-YES, check for spark-YES, check for ignition leads in the wrong order-YES THEY BLOODY WERE MIXED UP!! After much name calling they were put back in the right firing order and bang she sprang into life and settled into a nice idle on all four cylinders this time :rofl: . Started weeping petrol out of one carb so adjusted the fuel pressure down a little further and that cured it-perfect. Stuck her in first gear and drove nicely into the garage, reverse also functioned nicely with no crunches or binding-hurrah I've fitted my first clutch and luckily it worked as the front of the garage would have stopped me (and Dan's car was parked behind me so I was safe going backwards).

That engine sounds a bit tappetty Dan remarks, its a silvertop zetec with hydraulic lifters so we reckon we'll let it idle a while whilst the tappets pump up. Minute or two later its tapping faster than a member of riverdance!!!! Pulled the stopper, opened the oil filler cap and the head was completely devoid of oil....... Removed the rocker cover (no need for a rag to mop up the oil), was clear to see one *bleep*ed cam bearing- *bleep*

Off to post in the wanted section now :cray:

Guest alfaGTA

Two days pondering and 5 minutes last night to solve my non oiling head dilemma.......... I will stick to trading drugs and stay well clear of plumbing from not on!

I managed to incorrectly plumb my Mocal remote oil filter and due to the non return valve in the oil filter it completely stopped oil flow to the head-what a *bleep*ing tit.

at least you have Identified the problem! its all a learning curve just a shame it has knackered the head. get it plumbed right, get replacement head put it together get it running and forget it ever happened! (If peeps on here will let you that is lol.)