Yokohama Ao21R Tyres-Any Reviews?

Guest alfaGTA

Guest alfaGTA

The trusty 888's are basically only fit for track days now so looking to get some new rubber that is more suited to the road and occasional track day.

These are classed as a good all season tyre and for 185/70/13 come in at £60 inc VAT so can't grumble at the price.

Has anyone used them and what type of driving?

I've been happy with the 888's in all seasons and on track just watching the £££'s this time

I'm in the market for a full set of tyres so was interested in this thread. I looked at a review for the A021R on the demon tweeks website and they say that they were primarily designed to perform best in the wet which is not what I want. I want something that sticks like the proverbial used food to a blanket in the dry but with a passable performance in the wet so that I get home safely if the weather turns while I am out. I too need them in 13 inch which rules out the pilot sport 3. Anybody got any other ideas?

Guest alfaGTA

I'd go 888's or equivalent again but 1200+ miles in scotland planned so want something cheaper to burn off and also provide more grip on potentially damp gravel covered roads and still perform 90% on the track but i've got worn 888's for track work

I found even with Toyo CF1's you only find the real grip when you rag it and I mean realy rag it

So cool crisp days any tire will do and 021's are probably a better compramise than CF1's for wet and dry

I have sort of compromised by ( over a number of years) buying a second set of wheels and tyres

Guest alfaGTA

888's not recommended for cold weather use. The list gets smaller and smaller. Wear rate isn't really an issue for me as I don't do that many miles but I do want to be able to go out on those sunny, crisp clear winter days.

My 888's were skitty when stone cold on frosty but dry winter mornings but after a mile or so they had a bit of heat/flex in them and they were fine, in damp they were fine but in standing water or gravel they were NOT FINE....... Will give the A021's a go this year but got to have a working car first......

My 888s wvere the same.....like black ice when cold, they had to be pretty warm to work well.

They definitely didnt like very wet roads, but coped with showers on warm days, but not in winter.

But on a track....whooee...tighten up the seatbelts...

I ended up with a second set of allys too

Bob

Checked my car tyres to make sure that I had the right size before ordering and found that I had obviously been thinking of the wrong car. They are in fact 195/60/14 which means that the selection available is terrible. 888's are not available in this size, which is what I was leaning towards on the recommendation of a friend who runs a sprint car. The rear arches would probably accomodate a slightly wider tyre which would be ok but the current tyres fill the front cycle wings so I am at a loss as to what to do. I definitely wanted to fit a dry weather biased tyre but now it looks as if I may have to go for some sort of compromise tyre. Anybody got any suggestions?